Brightside/ Wincobank Pubs

Frayava

George was my mum's cousin, I had been told he used to be a coalman. Any idea what year? I presume he is dead now but does anyone know what hapened to his son? When did the Bridge close?

Hi

George was my uncle and he delivered coal up until around 1966 when he bought the Bridge Inn.

Mike, his son was the manager of the Fiesta and then Roxys, he died in his early 40's around 1993.

George and Elsie retired from the pub in the mid 80's and lived in a bungalow on Bellhouse Road. George died about 5 years ago aged 83, Elsie died 2 years before him.

No George and Elsie Powell were the Hosts at the Bridge,their son Mick was a manager at Roxys.George used to be the coalman round Wincobank and Brightside before taking the pub.Used to have some good friends in there Danek,Johnny Steer,Bob Winslade,Ian and Phil ?Mickey Hunt,Mick Smith.

Howard Gregory Glen Gregory's father from Heaven 17 who once brought Tina Turner into the pub or so the story goes!!

Hi I'm Daneks sister and most of the lads can be found in the Crown (Brightside)

on Sunday lunch times (Even Howard makes an appearance) They moved to the Crown when the Bridge shut gotta keep the fishing club going.:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Hi

George was my uncle and he delivered coal up until around 1966 when he bought the Bridge Inn.

Mike, his son was the manager of the Fiesta and then Roxys, he died in his early 40's around 1993.

George and Elsie retired from the pub in the mid 80's and lived in a bungalow on Bellhouse Road. George died about 5 years ago aged 83, Elsie died 2 years before him.

So sorry to hear Mike Powell has passed away, I worked with him at the Fiesta, he was a lovely, lovely man. Very friendly and chatty and always there for you, what a shame

Forgot about the other side of Wincobank. Dallas Bar - long gone. Foundry - now a Nail Manicurists shop? Not sure which of those under the Railway Bridge are left.

Moving up a bit - Horseshoe, Roman Ridge, Sicey all completely gone. Is the Wharncliffe still open?

I suppose it is one way of stopping binge drinking! A pub crawl around the area would take about three days!

The Foundry Arms a manicurist!! What's the world coming to. That was my first local. Clive (the landlord) kept a half decent pint of Tetleys. Shame that on my 18th birthday I had to tell him I was 20 as I had been suppin' there for the last 2 years. Damn good value too at 25p a pint!!

Forgot about the other side of Wincobank. Dallas Bar - long gone. Foundry - now a Nail Manicurists shop? Not sure which of those under the Railway Bridge are left.

Moving up a bit - Horseshoe, Roman Ridge, Sicey all completely gone. Is the Wharncliffe still open?

I suppose it is one way of stopping binge drinking! A pub crawl around the area would take about three days!

The Dallas Bar. Now that was something different. I remember when it was the Engineers with a big snooker room. The outside even appeared in an advert for Whitbread.

Then it all changed. It re-opened with a disc jockey, staff dancing on the bar with tambourines and lots of birds!!. The talent came from far afield, Firth Park, Parson Cross, Darnall and even Shiregreen. It was the first time that I had a chance of pulling something half decent without going into town.

Life was wonderful!

• 2 years later...
Back in the day, I would walk down to the Rising Sun on Jenkin, then along to the Railway, down to the Black Swan and the Crown, one more at the Bridge then like a lazy person grab a cab up to the Forum on Sansdtone Road for last orders.

The Swan and the Bridge are completely gone. Sun closed long ago. I have just heard that the Forum and Railway closed this week which leaves the Crown... which has been up for sale for ages.

Given the cachment area what on earth do people do around there for a drink nowadays, Does everyone sit in with their tinnies and wine or is there a mass exodus on Fridays / Saturdays to someplace else?

It is so sad to hear of such a mass closure in an area which previously supported six pubs and now down to one.

hi guys new to the forum looking for some info on the railway pub brightside i am seriously thinking of opening the pub and would love some feed back on what would make your pub the best community local. for us it is good quality beer good range of real ales and good pub grub at the right price ,local teams and sky sports and entertainment nights

Archived