Can I claim housing benefit?

I am currently working full time, my OH was laid off in November and has just started claiming contribution based JSA. We live in a privately rented house and the landlord stated he will not accept housing benefit, when we took the house. Although he reasonable enough, I would rather he did not know my OH is currently unemployed, as he may become worried we will be unable to pay the rent (which is fair enough), even though we have never defaulted.

By the time I have paid out the rent and bills, we have almost nothing to live on. So I was wondering if it is possible to claim housing benefit, even if it is just 25% of the rent, without the landlord knowing? So perhaps they could make it payable to me rather than the landlord, and I would just pay him as usual? I have never claim HB before so have no clue :|

As far as i know ( and ive never claimed housing ben) you cant claim housing benefit and have it paid to you, it must go to the landlord as there were lots of people scamming the system and pocketing the rent money

They won't pay it to the landlord any more unless there are special circumstances.

Landlord benefit must be paid to the tenant to pay the landlord. The cynic in me reckons this boosts gdp.

I am currently working full time, my OH was laid off in November and has just started claiming contribution based JSA. We live in a privately rented house and the landlord stated he will not accept housing benefit, when we took the house. Although he reasonable enough, I would rather he did not know my OH is currently unemployed, as he may become worried we will be unable to pay the rent (which is fair enough), even though we have never defaulted.

By the time I have paid out the rent and bills, we have almost nothing to live on. So I was wondering if it is possible to claim housing benefit, even if it is just 25% of the rent, without the landlord knowing? So perhaps they could make it payable to me rather than the landlord, and I would just pay him as usual? I have never claim HB before so have no clue :|

Your going to have to detail your finances and some personal details for a calculation to be made.

Age of you and partner.

Wages.

Rent.

Council tax.

Any benefits/tax credits - What and how much?

(Note, you may be able to deduct travel costs from your pay packet before tax is calculated to further boost income.

You may also be able for council tax benefit.

do you have kids? if its just you and your partner chances are you won't qualify. Your applicable amount would only be £102.75 or something so if you earn more than that and have tax credits and his JSA you'd have too high an income

As far as i know ( and ive never claimed housing ben) you cant claim housing benefit and have it paid to you, it must go to the landlord as there were lots of people scamming the system and pocketing the rent money

If you have never claimed it and don't know anything about it then why post complete rubbish?

If you are working full time then you probably won't be entitled to a great deal but you might be able to get something.

This might help

http://libplugins.sheffield.gov.uk/benefits/calculator/default.htm

You can have the housing benefit paid directly to you but I think it is unlikely you will be able to apply for housing benefit without your landlord knowing.

If he is going to find out which I think he will because the HB officers will want to know who he is then my advice as a landlord is to be honest with him. If you are good tenants then he will want to keep you. If it is only part HB and one of you is still working then I think he will be understanding. Better to have the full rent paid with some HB than risk you going into arrears. As it is at the moment good tenants on HB are a better risk than working ones. Also if you are going to get some HB make sure it is paid directly to the landlord. He will definitely not like the HB being paid to yourself, that's risky.

Hope you both get back into full time work soon and the above works out for you.

If you have never claimed it and don't know anything about it then why post complete rubbish?

If you are working full time then you probably won't be entitled to a great deal but you might be able to get something.

This might help

http://libplugins.sheffield.gov.uk/benefits/calculator/default.htm

Well excuse me!!!! I was going on what a friend had been told and that the housing pay her benefit straight to her landlord :rolleyes:

Archived