Torture 1 terrorist to save 300 lives?

Is it ever justified to torture?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Is it ever justified to torture?

• Yes
    • No

Which is a very good reason not to do it isn't it?

It's like this see! 300 innocent people's lives are at stake whereas one worthless dirtbag has to be made to talk in order to save their lives if possible. Any government leader who didnt instruct the police to do whatever it took in such a dire situation is as evil and misguided as the dirtbag himself and needs to be taken out, put against a wall and shot as an irresponsible, noodle headed idiot.

Germany is a country that is very conscious about the rights of prisoners but even their police used torture to extract information from a kidnapper who buried someone alive. This happened a few years ago.

Fortunately extreme circumstances like this seldom if ever would happen and of course torture as a way to extract information is inhuman and violates all standards of decency

It's like this see! 300 innocent people's lives are at stake whereas one worthless dirtbag has to be made to talk in order to save their lives if possible. Any government leader who didnt instruct the police to do whatever it took in such a dire situation is as evil and misguided as the dirtbag himself and needs to be taken out, put against a wall and shot as an irresponsible, noodle headed idiot.

Germany is a country that is very conscious about the rights of prisoners but even their police used torture to extract information from a kidnapper who buried someone alive. This happened a few years ago.

Fortunately extreme circumstances like this seldom if ever would happen and of course torture as a way to extract information is inhuman and violates all standards of decency

Which still doesn't address the fact that most people, under torture, would say that black is white and would confess to shooting JFK - which makes the whole process meaningless.

If you were tortured, had electrodes up your bum and your fingernails pulled out, wouldn't you tell your torturers what you thought they wanted to hear?

And if he doesn't tell, do you actually do such an evil thing?

Is that sort of behaviour fitting for Americans? It certainly isn't for Britons.

get of your high horse and who gave you permission to say what is fitting behaviour for britains ? i am british and i would roast the son of a bitch to get the information out of him if it saved 300 lives

get of your high horse and who gave you permission to say what is fitting behaviour for britains ? i am british and i would roast the son of a bitch to get the information out of him if it saved 300 lives

and if it didn't save 300 lives, would you be happy then?

Which still doesn't address the fact that most people, under torture, would say that black is white and would confess to shooting JFK - which makes the whole process meaningless.

If you were tortured, had electrodes up your bum and your fingernails pulled out, wouldn't you tell your torturers what you thought they wanted to hear?

Since there is only one hour before the bomb goes off there are only two options, either obtain the information by any means necessary even if the information turns out to be false or arrange, if he agrees to pay a couple of million into a Swiss bank account and guarantee him a flight out to a destination of his choice if the information is correct and the bomb dismantled in time. If he's the run of the mill kind of terrorist we have today the money will mean nothing since his true reward will be a "martyr for the glory of Allah" or some such rubbishl. Also, very few if any governments yield to blackmail so that offer wouldn't happen There's always the one in a million chance that a heart to heart talk might just make him see the error of his ways which cannot even seriously be considered as an option.

So, it all gets back to a bit of pain and terror to get the job done but of course I'm forgetting "truth serum" Pump him full of that and keep the finger nailing pulling as a second choice

of course ,where terrorism is concerned i have no qualms,one less terrorist isnt going to make me lose any sleep

So you've tortured him, killed him and it didn't prevent the deaths of 300 people.....seems a bit daft to me. Maybe you should have tried harder to prevent those deaths rather than go on a sadistic trip.

the OP says 'the authorities have caught the ring leader'. that implies there's evidence beyond doubt he planned the mission, and knows where the bomb is. in such a case my moral incredulity against torture is not as solid. with just an hour and faced with a 'real' terrorist it's doubtful you could torture them enough to get anything out of them. but i would do it anyway, if only to say i did everything possible to save lives right till the end.

Archived