Torture 1 terrorist to save 300 lives?

Is it ever justified to torture?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Is it ever justified to torture?

• Yes
    • No

true. and no matter how hard it is to relate to or even accept a great many 'terrorists' do have their own horror stories of situations in which them and theirs were 'tortured' by whomever they feel they're fighting. easy to say from the other end of a notebook, but torture and immediate-result-reactions have been proven over and over to make the situation worse. for all the gains of the Geneva conventions etc the danger is that of a downward and backward spiral to the dark ages.

People in the dark ages probably did many cruel things but they didnt kill hundreds of people for no reason at all. There had to be some reason even if it amounted to a refusal to surrender which Ghengis Khan believed was just punishment for all and everyone in whatever town or city he captured.

What reason do modern day terrorists have for slaughtering innocent people?

People in the dark ages probably did many cruel things but they didnt kill hundreds of people for no reason at all. There had to be some reason even if it amounted to a refusal to surrender which Ghengis Khan believed was just punishment for all and everyone in whatever town or city he captured.

What reason do modern day terrorists have for slaughtering innocent people?

your question would just take us down the usual 'who is the terrorist' route. i don't support any 'terrorist' activities, but some of the reasons given by those who become so disenfranchised and frustrated, not to mention worse, do get you thinking.

Might not be fair, but it's right .

I don't consider that correct. A willingness to kill if absolutely necessary exists in many people, indeed anyone of use in a crisis, and Halibut has shown in this thread that essential quality is one he holds. Your charecterisation of him is eronous.

Given the OPs scenario chances are the 300 passengers would be doomed anyway.

If the plane was somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic or Pacific with the nearest airport more than an hour away that would be all she wrote unless of course there just happened to be a bomb disposal expert on board

I don't consider that correct. A willingness to kill if absolutely necessary exists in many people, indeed anyone of use in a crisis, and Halibut has shown in this thread that essential quality is one he holds. Your charecterisation of him is eronous.

You've hit on some serious points but the point above is probably the most interesting. Putting yourself in the pilots seat for one moment (taking into consideration some of the replies) you have a bomb on board and the information your getting back is ' hang on! we're going to roast him', 'we're going to stick electrodes up his rear', we're going to rip his heart out alive'. I think these are the replies you'd expect from someone who has no interest in your safety let alone 300. What you need is someone who has their head together and..getting back to your "crisis" point, I'd be sh*****g truckloads considering I only have an hour. If I was a pilot I'd ignore and do a nose dive. As a pilot i'd even ignore the PC brigade too if it helps the frothies.

BTW...an hour has more than passed. No decision, no consensus. All 300 are dead.

Archived