Hat prejudice - the shift in cultural values.

No. The burqa, and the reason why it is so controversial a garment to so many, even many muslims themselves, is because it totally covers the face, not just the head. One of the things that makes religious arguments about hijabs/niqabs/burqas so ridiculous is that so many people use the wrong term for what they mean.

I have never seen an indigenous (for want of a better word) woman cover her face in day to day life.

I know you don't want the thread derailed into religion, but using the right terminology for what you mean does matter in this case.

I wear a hat a lot in the winter, I wore one all day today, but I didn't encounter any discrimination. :)

I used to wear 'proper' hats too, but stopped after moving to Sheffield for the same reason I stopped wearing voluminous skirts.

Thanks for correcting me. I do know the correct term but wasn't thinking (I'm on the port tonight).

The headscarf which you still see people wearing, generally older women and younger Muslim girls, is actually quite nice.

I used to be a proper hat wearer and had loads of broad brimmed hats, from sunhats to a lovely bowler with a full faced veil on to wear for riding and a great big funereal black one with feathers.

Unfortunately I rarely go anywhere that they would be appropriate these days, so I just wear my waxed cotton one for walking the dog instead.

Hats with brims are essential in the rain for those of us who wear glasses.

As a hat wearer I find this quite sad, wearing a hat has so many advantages in day to day life. You can shade your eyes from the sun or use it as a impromptu pocket for example. You can wear a different style/colour to symbolise various things to others you know at a fairly large distance without the need for verbal communication.

I wonder why hat wearing has become less common. What do you think?

It helps camouflage a bald spot too.:hihi:

Archived