USB HDD attached to BT Home Hub problem

Wonder Boy

I've just done a 500 Gig drive by putting it in a spare PC with no other drives, booting to a particular floppy I have and formatting it from there. I'll willingly assist if you are anywhere near Crookes and it's an IDE drive. My spare machine is too old for SATA

Many thanks for your kind offer, much appreciated.

I can format to FAT32

I can map the drive

I can access the drive

I just can't write to it.

I am wondering if there is enough power to spin and read the drive but not enough to write to it? Would that make sense?

Will try thumb drive to FAT32 then a powered one I have which will need formatting.

Ah, I think I might understand now. Is it a USB powered 2 1/2 laptop size drive? I've been here before.

The lead that came with mine had 2xUSB plugs at one end and one the other.

You need to plug the single end in the drive and the other two ends into a PAIR of USB ports as a single port may not supply enough power to write to the drive.

I originally thought you were using a mains powered 3 1/2" caddy and a normal USB lead.

Unfortunately the Home Hub has only 1 USB port, so will probably not supply enough juice.

I suspect you will need a mains powered caddy or a Network one as in my earlier link, though that's only suited to full size IDE drives

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!:rant:

That's better!

Formatted and mapped a 500gb powered USB HDD, I can see it, access it but I can't do anything as access is denied, please help!!

How do I change drive permissions?

Hi Wonder Boy,

"Best practices

Permissions

Assign permissions to groups rather than to users.

Because it is inefficient to maintain user accounts directly, assigning permissions on a user basis should be the exception.

Set permission to be inheritable to child objects.

Assign Full control, if appropriate, rather than individual permissions.

Deny should be used for these special cases.

Use Deny permissions to exclude a subset of a group which has Allowed permissions.

Use Deny to exclude one special permission when you have already granted full control to a user or group.

User rights

Assign rights as high in the container tree as possible. By doing this, you gain the greatest breadth of effect with the least effort. The rights you establish should be adequate for the majority of the security principals.

Apply inheritance to propagate rights through the tree. You can quickly and effectively apply access control settings to all children or a subtree of a parent object.

Administrators should use an account with restrictive permissions to perform routine, nonadministrative tasks, and use an account with broader permissions only when performing specific administrative tasks. To accomplish this without logging off and back on, log on with a regular user account and use the Runas command to run the tools that require the broader permissions."

From the Help section of Microsoft Management Console, Windows XP Professional SP-3

swarfendor43

Footnote: "To change user permissions for Removable Storage

Open Removable Storage.

In the console tree, right-click the specific item you want to change user permissions for, and then click Properties.

In the Properties dialog box, click the Security tab.

Click the name of the user or group whose permissions you want to change, and then do one of the following:

To change specific permissions, select or clear the Allow and Deny check boxes for each of the three levels of permissions: Use, Modify, and Control, as applicable.

To deny all permissions, click Remove.

Notes

To open Removable Storage, click Start and then click Control Panel. Click Performance and Maintenance, click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management. In the console tree, double-click Storage and then double-click Removable Storage.

You can apply user permissions to libraries, to media pools and their media, or to Removable Storage as a whole."

Also from Help section on Microsoft Management Console.

Edited by swarfendor43
Additional info re removable storage

Thanks for your reply, but no joy for me

HDD not visible in the computer management section whether connected to the hub or the PC I formatted it on. Also, no security tab appears as It is formatted to FAT32 I understand.

• 5 years later...

i know this is 5 years old but i had same problem read this post and i solved it using some of the ideas given above

it is due to permissions, plug the drive back into the windows pc and right click / properties / security, click edit then add, advanced, then find now, choose NETWORK and ok - click on NETWORK in list tick full control, apply and ok - it will then work fine