Is South Yorkshire becoming a police state? Apparently it is

My son has just phoned me to tell me of his interesting encounter while out for his evening run. He has just started running in an attempt to get fit for the summer. To prove to his girlfriend how far he had got, he decided to take a photo of himself outside Hackenthorpe Police Station, near Crystal Peaks. At which point a police car screamed around the corner, dragged him into the back seat and started to read him the riot act about anti-terrorism and how it was ILLEGAL for him to take a picture of a police station or ANY public building, for example Meadowhall (their example not mine).

I always thought you could take a picture of any public building so long as you were stood on the public highway.

As for quoting Meadowhall as an example, how many tourists do you think would be taken into custody daily if that was the case.

I have always believed the police are prone to abusing their powers given half a chance, but have they seriously got nothing else to do but threaten a clapped-out jogger with the anti terrorism baton?

If that is for real it's incredibly shocking. I would be thinking about making a complaint if it was me, how ridiculous. Also that can't be true because the Houses of Parliament, the Tower of London, even Sheffield Town Hall you see tourist taking pics and they're all public buildings so they must be talking rubbish.

Is this for real?

I'm sad to say but it is for real. If someone was really going to take a picture of the police station with a view to attacking it, don't the police think that the potential 'terrorist' would take the photo covertly during the day not at night using FLASH...:loopy::loopy::loopy::loopy:

There was a TV report last year about a professional architectural photographer who was harrassed by private security guards for taking photos of a public building in London. To get away from the guards he crossed the street and set up again at which point the police were called and he was forced to move on.

He was quite within his rights to take the picture from the public highway. This was a clear abuse of anti-terror laws by the police.

There was a TV report last year about a professional architectural photographer who was harrassed by private security guards for taking photos of a public building in London. To get away from the guards he crossed the street and set up again at which point the police were called and he was forced to move on.

He was quite within his rights to take the picture from the public highway. This was a clear abuse of anti-terror laws by the police.

If the police are abusing their powers i'm shocked that must mean the pope's a Catholic.......

Archived