Why are there bouncers on the door of Wetherspoons, Hillsborough?

boldforester

I've just got off the tram at Hills, to find two or three dark-coated "heavies" on the door of the Rawson. Why? ...must be because the vast hordes of Yeovil Town are in town for their rearranged date with the Owls. No disrespect to Yeovil.....but who's paying for all this "protection"? Is it Wetherspoons? In which case I'd suggest don't bother, and keep beer prices low. Let's get real, we're scratching around in the middle of the old Third Division, with the best prospect for anything "tasty" being the very likely visit of Chesterfield next season.

Cos we're savages down here and can't be trusted. Seriously though, I believe that it was part of the conditions when they applied for the licence.

I think most places have security in Hillsborough when the footballs, the Park Hotel certainly does. Wetherspoons always have bouncers there at busy times, every Friday and Saturday night, always have since they opened.

Its a requirement of their licence as it holds 300 people and historically it had troulbe before the bouncers when the drunken idiots couldnt control themselves since the bouncers there is hardly any bother that i see

Don't buy that.....if its based on capacity, then it holds 300 people every night, unless it's the Tardis. So on that basis there should be heavies on the door permanently. My concern is who's paying for it, and where does the extra cost eventually go? On the price of a pint?

Legends has the most attractive, feisty and efficient barmaids in Sheffield. And it keeps you on your toes...prices can vary by upwards of £1 a pint, depending on when you go!

I'm sure the barmaids are amazing, but the clientele, however, ain't gonna be darkening the doorstep of the Ivy any time soon.

Oh yeah and another thing....I'd sooner go into Legends and be served in about 2 mins by a friendly girl who remembers you after one or two visits, than the usual Rawson / Wetherspoons "experience"...a bar which could comfortably fit into a stateroom on the "Titanic" staffed by one person....reaching the bar with only one other person in front and experiencing the adrenalin rush of thinking you will be served in 2 mins...but of course they are ordering six different meals, and coffees ( go to Costa?!) and can't remember whether they want chips or a jacket, or their table number...meanwhile all the other blackshirts are steaming around collecting glasses, delivering plates...in fact, anything but accommodating the customer who's popped in for a quiet, un-corporate pint.

Phew...rant over.

Archived