Memories of London Rd/Sharrow/Little Sheffield

Anyone with memories of David Buckley and his sister whose name I can't remember and I should, because I once went out with her. They lived at the top of Boston Street near it's junction with London Road.

David attended Sharrow Lane and King Edwards. The family moved to Abbeydale Road, near to the Millhouses pub.

I was looking up the pawnbroker Alfred Edmund Jowett on Lansdowne Rd, and quite surprised to find he had a son Alfred who became very distinguished in the church, rising to quite high office. I don't recall any sign of wife or son in the years I was a neighbour.

The bank on the actual corner was another branch of the Midland - here is a link to a picturesheffield.com photo. I remember that branch only too well. After a 1973 deluge the River Porter overflowed and the cellar was flooded. Three of us juniors were issued with irons and ironing boards and dispatched to a first-floor room where we spent a week drying out six years' worth of cheques etc..:(

So . Thats why you retired early!

---------- Post added 03-10-2013 at 17:33 ----------

my uncle gordon used to own the china shop. i remember the vets with the split door,we could look over the top and see the animals waiting to see the vet. i remember wigfalls 2 of my uncles worked for them. also the very expensive furniture shop think it was otto's.

The vets was what we used. McTaggert was renowned as being the best for miles around. Wigfalls was the everyone's TV, furniture come cycle shop around, whereas Otto's was the " If you had it , flaunt it " shop .

---------- Post added 03-10-2013 at 17:47 ----------

I'm a bit lost with that one mammybear, your going up towards Highfields library I think?

The music shop at the junction of Woodhead road London road which someone referred to as having a grand piano in the window - wasn't that something like " Bradleys "? I recall they also had a cello or some other stringed instrument on a stand in the window .

There was also a fishing tackle shop at one time just around the corner on Woodhead road , Jim Clark or Jack Clark .

---------- Post added 03-10-2013 at 17:54 ----------

Hi Greybeard - to judge from the directories I have and census returns there was a dentist at 240/242 London Road from Charles Stokes (1881-1911) to Percy Stokes (by 1925), T.R. Hodgkiss [1968] and Robert Fitzharris (1973). I also remember the herbalist - this appears in the 1942 directory, two doors above Dixons as "J. & E.M. Lewis". By 1968 it was "John Wenniger, pork butcher". The phrase "cheap jack's" seems to be local to Sheffield - at least, I've only known it used by Sheffield folk. The shop you mention on the corner of St Barnabas Road is shown in the 1942 directory as "Mrs Beatrice Shedlow, general dealer".

Does anyone remember Sermins jewellers, just round the corner at No 8 Sharrow Lane? My grandfather was an amateur watchmaker and the reason for our 1956 visit to that area (see post #2) was for him to buy spare parts from the elderly Mr Sermin.

I remember Sermins , the jeweler . There was a man in there who wore thin gold rimmed glasses with rather thick lens . Always reminded me of " Cosmo ".

Firstclass watch repairer .

---------- Post added 03-10-2013 at 18:05 ----------

i remember going to a dentist on london rd up near the junction with sharrow lane it was an old black looking building. you went into the hall and up a very large winding staircase. it was very scary and it didnt improve any when they put on the rubber mask and gassed you. still have nightmares now.

I once remember going to that dentist to make an appointment . You will imagine my horror when they said " We will do you now sir ". I fully expected them to say

" Come back in a couple of days " . That would have given me some time to gather my courage .

London Road was also renowned for it's pubs and looking back on Friday and Saturday nights they all seemed to be heaving with people. Starting at the bottom there was the Hermitage(now as a different name), if you crossed the road and walked onto the bottom of Cemetery Road you had the Royal Oak(I can't work out what it is now but it's the building with a mural on its side). At the bottom of Boston Street was the Lansdowne Hotel, The Albion, Pheasant, Sheldon, Barrell, Old Crown and Cremorne are still there by the looks of it The Tramway looks in a sorry state, from The Cremorne you had a bit of a walk to The Royal where London Road forks off with Abbeydale Road which is now no more, although starting at The Hermitage we never got that far.

Don't forget the Mecca dance hall on the corner, it used to get packed.

Anyone with memories of David Buckley and his sister whose name I can't remember and I should, because I once went out with her. They lived at the top of Boston Street near it's junction with London Road.

David attended Sharrow Lane and King Edwards. The family moved to Abbeydale Road, near to the Millhouses pub.

Just remembered the name of David's sister, it was Christine !

• 3 months later...
Mum used to take me to get my hair cut (1970's) at the Italian barbers on London Rd, which is now called 'the barber shop'.

I to went to that barbers with my mum in the early part of the 1970s. The Italian fella who ran it was always plesent. I also remember seeing him cutting hair in later years at Abbeydale road before you reach Woodseats road. Cicarella comes to mind could be wrong though?

I to went to that barbers with my mum in the early part of the 1970s. The Italian fella who ran it was always plesent. I also remember seeing him cutting hair in later years at Abbeydale road before you reach Woodseats road. Cicarella comes to mind could be wrong though?

Sounds familiar. There was a lad at my school (King Ecgbert's) who had the same surname. Now I'm wondering if he was a relation.

There's a barber's shop on Abbeydale Rd called Ciccarella's...related to the old London Rd barber?

https://plus.google.com/100215804093842657468/photos/photo/5817011248689713538

I used to go in the Mecca/Locarno when I was in my teens and remember the 2 bars, shorts in top bar and beer/lager in bottom bar, as I was a bit under age I couldn't do the pubs but in later life made up for it and had some great nights especially girls Friday night out. The Locarno had it's name changed quite a few times but was back to Locarno till it closed and became a Sainsbury, happy days:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

---------- Post added 16-01-2014 at 23:31 ----------

I don't remember the Buckley's but I had a friend who lived just there her name was Jennifer Johnson. I have seen her on here and would love to know how she is doing, my name was Sheila Smith then so if anyone has any info please get in touch:help::help: