Memories of London Rd/Sharrow/Little Sheffield

I'm sure it was Darling & Evans in that building opposite the top of Woodhead Road back in 1979 when I first went there, Mr Bird was my dentist, he did my first extraction coupled with a gob full of fillings, that's over 30 years ago PT, I moved up to Woodseats mid 1980s and changed dentists !

Hodgekiss was certainly there till about 79/80 as we lived on Mount Pleasant road, on the other side of Sharrow lane from the dentist until the clearance in 79.

Darlling and Evans were definitely in the double fronted property opposite the royal hotel/Ward Place until then.

Hi Minimo

The chip shop i think you are referering to was on Cliff Str. you would walk to the end off Cross Walk across Lansdowne Rd. on to Cliffe Str. i never knew the name of the chip oil.On the corner of Broom Close and London Rd. was Blackwells chip shop

---------- Post added 11-09-2013 at 16:06 ----------

Hi Minimo

The chip shop i think you are referering to was on Cliff Str. you would walk to the end off Cross Walk across Lansdowne Rd. on to Cliffe Str. i never knew the name of the chip oil.On the corner of Broom Close and London Rd. was Blackwells chip shop

---------- Post added 11-09-2013 at 16:21 ----------

The Disc Jockey cafe on London Rd. in the 40's and early 50's was a china shop then Bower's Cafe then the Disc Jockey where i did my courting.

I remember the one on Cliff St too, but the one I liked best was on London Rd, Blackwells sounds right. We lived at number 45, just below Jowett the pawnbroker. We turned the corner and walked on to the little lane, which led to London Rd and the chippy.

I have just been looking at Picture Sheffield. There are loads of photos on there of London Road. Many names of shops are mentioned. There is a particularly nice one of the vets, McTaggart

...The chip shop i think you are referering to was on Cliff Str. ... i never knew the name of the chip oil...
Hi Yorkyhells - this is from a 1950s directory "D. Motley, fried fish dlr., 11 Cliff Street" and "John E. Blackwell, fried fish dlr., 124 London Road" (corner of Broom Close, as you correctly recalled)..:)

There was a police box near the bottom of Sharrow Lane and a bit farher down on the corner was a Bank.

I'm not sure if it is the right one, but I remember visiting relatives at a bank. It was a big building on a corner, and they were, I think, caretakers who lived in a flat above the bank. It was enormous and I recall we kids having a great time scooting around the hallways on wooden floors.

Possibly Midland Bank? Memory is hazy as it was 60+ years ago. I've also no idea now who the people there were, must have been distant rellies as I don't remember any names.

I'm not sure if it is the right one, but I remember visiting relatives at a bank. It was a big building on a corner, and they were, I think, caretakers who lived in a flat above the bank. It was enormous and I recall we kids having a great time scooting around the hallways on wooden floors.

Possibly Midland Bank? Memory is hazy as it was 60+ years ago. I've also no idea now who the people there were, must have been distant rellies as I don't remember any names.

I can't remember which Bank it was either but it was a triangular shape, built in stone.I rented a shop opposite for a few months with the intention of starting a Painters and decorating business but I was called back into the Army for that abortive Suez escapade, and I lost a lot of money.