Memories of London Rd/Sharrow/Little Sheffield

...I remember visiting relatives at a bank. It was a big building on a corner, and they were, I think, caretakers who lived in a flat above the bank.... Possibly Midland Bank?
Yes - it was the Highfield branch of the Midland Bank, on the corner of Sitwell Road (I used to do security work there in the 1970s, when Eric Heatherington was manager). It's now Rossi's Italian restaurant - definitely a change for the better!.:)

Yes - it was the Highfield branch of the Midland Bank, on the corner of Sitwell Road (I used to do security work there in the 1970s, when Eric Heatherington was manager). It's now Rossi's Italian restaurant - definitely a change for the better!.:)

was there a bank on the opposite corner, the corner of sharrow lane and london road

In no particular order or direction, at the bottom of london road was Frettwell downings,they made themost fancy cakes and pastries.At the corner of Boston st was a chinese restaurant and next door was an amusement arcade. At the end of club garden walk and london rd was a bric a brac shop that had a sign in the window that said we buy anything. Next door was a dry cleaners (in the back alley was a blacksmiths shop complete with anvil and bellows).Next door was a pork shop,and on thecorner was a butcher, does anyone remember the tall brick chimney in the big yard at the back? Accross the road there was the Tripe Shop. on some days you took a pudding basin for your pie and peas. Why no shops like that nowadays.At the corner of broom close was the chip shop and next door was a paper shop where i used to buy my superman comics on saturday. Up the road was Merrills toy shop .Bought a lot of construction kits and plaster of paris moulds over the years. Over the road was wigfalls where you went for your bike.

was there a bank on the opposite corner, the corner of sharrow lane and london road

there was also a bank at the bottom of Ecclesall rd/ Cemetery rd next to the old co-op either Yorkshire or tsb. I remember there being a police box at the back, I was always getting lost because if you got taken there the policeman would give you a lollipop

---------- Post added 21-09-2013 at 00:16 ----------

In no particular order or direction, at the bottom of london road was Frettwell downings,they made themost fancy cakes and pastries.At the corner of Boston st was a chinese restaurant and next door was an amusement arcade. At the end of club garden walk and london rd was a bric a brac shop that had a sign in the window that said we buy anything. Next door was a dry cleaners (in the back alley was a blacksmiths shop complete with anvil and bellows).Next door was a pork shop,and on thecorner was a butcher, does anyone remember the tall brick chimney in the big yard at the back? Accross the road there was the Tripe Shop. on some days you took a pudding basin for your pie and peas. Why no shops like that nowadays.At the corner of broom close was the chip shop and next door was a paper shop where i used to buy my superman comics on saturday. Up the road was Merrills toy shop .Bought a lot of construction kits and plaster of paris moulds over the years. Over the road was wigfalls where you went for your bike.

on the other corner of Boston st. was a pub name escapes me.

there was also a bank at the bottom of Ecclesall rd/ Cemetery rd next to the old co-op either Yorkshire or tsb...
The bank on the actual corner was another branch of the Midland - here is a link to a picturesheffield.com photo. I remember that branch only too well. After a 1973 deluge the River Porter overflowed and the cellar was flooded. Three of us juniors were issued with irons and ironing boards and dispatched to a first-floor room where we spent a week drying out six years' worth of cheques etc..:(