Are you proud to be English

Nationality is membership of a nation or sovereign state so as England is neither, your nationality cannot be English.

Your link does provide a number of English people but that was from the time when England was a sovereign state but ceased to be after the Acts of Union 1800.

England is still a nation, just like Scotland and Wales are. None of them are States hence we have United Kingdom passports and nationality is stated as British as that covers the United Kingdom.

The Act of Union was 1707.

England is still a nation, just like Scotland and Wales are. None of them are States hence we have United Kingdom passports and nationality is stated as British as that covers the United Kingdom.

The Act of Union was 1707.

England is not a nation as it has no internationally recognised border, no seat on the UN, no currency and no Passport.

Yes, my mistake there have been two acts of Union, one in 1707 and then another in 1800. The latter was between Britain and Ireland.

The cornish are related vaguely to the welsh, another language that no one understands outside where they live apart from the welsh which is spoken in Paragonia for christs' sake. Can you try going to Spain or any other country anywhere only speaking cornish or welsh, no wonder they stay at home playing with each other, at games I mean.

theres a curious travel book by bruce chatwin called "in patagonia " sort of explains the place

I was always taught to say, I'm English, NOT British :huh:, but the English don't seem to mind being called Brits now, do they ?

That's because we are. There is no harm in identifying yourself as English, but its not a recognised nationality as already stated. To call yourself English is no different to calling yourself a Sheffielder or a Northerner, but they are not official. We live in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Ask a person living in Northern Ireland (not as republican) what is their nationality and they wont call themselves Irish or Northern Irish, they will say they are British and they would be right.

I was always taught to say, I'm English, NOT British :huh:, but the English don't seem to mind being called Brits now, do they ?

Niether do the Scots, although they are Scottish first.

The problem (for the Scots) is when English people interchange England and Britain.

That's because we are. There is no harm in identifying yourself as English, but its not a recognised nationality as already stated. To call yourself English is no different to calling yourself a Sheffielder or a Northerner, but they are not official. We live in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Ask a person living in Northern Ireland (not as republican) what is their nationality and they wont call themselves Irish or Northern Irish, they will say they are British and they would be right.

England is a nation, just like Wales, Scotland and Ireland are.

Northern Irish republicans will call themselves Irish (as alluded to by yourself).

NI Unionists, or at least the ones I know, will call themselves either British, Northern Irish, Ulster Scots, Ulster men/women and very occasionally will call themselves Irish.

Archived