Are you proud to be English

When the USSR was in existence: Latvia, Lithuania, Belarus, Ukraine and umpteen others. They were still nations but the state was the USSR.

The USA is a nation state.

I lnow the United Kingdom is a sovereign state.........that's what I've been saying. And that sovereign state is made up of 4 separate nations.

As a former member of the Armed Forces, I do/did have an allegiance to the UK.

That's interesting.

When you took your Oath of Attestation (Air Force terminology, the Navy and the Army may have a different name for it), did you swear allegiance to the UK, the British government or to the Crown?

"Loyalty. As Royal Air Force personnel, our first loyalty is always to the

Crown. From the moment we are attested or commissioned, we are each

committed to an unswerving loyalty to defend, uphold and preserve the

Crown.

If you subsequently received a Warrant or a Commission, whose signature did it bear? Was it signed by the Prime Minister of the day or by the Queen?

The Armed Forces are raised by the Queen under the authority of Parliament (in accordance with the provisions of the Army Act, Navy Act and Air Force Act, which are passed every year.)

There was a time when Parliament had its own army. That didn't work out too well.

When the USSR was in existence: Latvia, Lithuania, Belarus, Ukraine and umpteen others. They were still nations but the state was the USSR.

The USA is a nation state.

I lnow the United Kingdom is a sovereign state.........that's what I've been saying. And that sovereign state is made up of 4 separate nations.

But where is the English Government?

yes england got its faults but hasnt everywhere theires allways been rich and working classes personally love sheffield people and there sense of humour have to have with united and wed bless em both wouldent be without either of them.im an oap allways had aroof over my head and never wthout a job for 50 years. allways had something to eat and have a lovely wife.ive known people leave england but a lot have returned.i dont like hot weather so england suits me.perfect no but you could do a lot worse elswhere.

That's interesting.

When you took your Oath of Attestation (Air Force terminology, the Navy and the Army may have a different name for it), did you swear allegiance to the UK, the British government or to the Crown?

"Loyalty. As Royal Air Force personnel, our first loyalty is always to the

Crown. From the moment we are attested or commissioned, we are each

committed to an unswerving loyalty to defend, uphold and preserve the

Crown.

If you subsequently received a Warrant or a Commission, whose signature did it bear? Was it signed by the Prime Minister of the day or by the Queen?

The Armed Forces are raised by the Queen under the authority of Parliament (in accordance with the provisions of the Army Act, Navy Act and Air Force Act, which are passed every year.)

There was a time when Parliament had its own army. That didn't work out too well.

The same oath I took but it's easier to explain to civilians that it is to the UK, of which the monarch is the head.

We all know MP's couldn't organise a trip to the beach on a desert island.

But where is the English Government?

It doesn't have one as it is a nation and not a state. If it was a state it would have it's own Government. Instead it is governed from Westminster by the Government of the United Kingdom, as are the other nations of the UK apart from those powers that have been devolved from Westminster.

The whole idea of being proud to be from a certain place puzzles me. I'm English because my mum gave birth to me here, it's not something I achieved, it just happened.

There are some things I like about living here, some I don't but pride doesn't come into it.

I completely agree with this. "English pride" makes me think of racists making excuses for their actions, don't they normally use the term "English Pride"?

I was born in England, its pretty good, but I like a lot of countries, that's about as far as it goes.

Archived