Are you proud to be English

How can you be proud of something you had nothing to do with?

He of course had nothing to do with the England of the past, but he is part of what England is today. Those of us who are hardworking, energetic and stay out of trouble are entitled to feel proud of making England/Britain what it is today.

So,we can take it that you're not proud to be English, something that was suspected all along. Why are you posting on this thread?

Of course I'm not proud to be English - how can one be proud of something one's had no influence over?

I am glad to be English. I think it's a great place to live, and I think I make a positive contribution to that.

Of course I'm not proud to be English - how can one be proud of something one's had no influence over?

I am glad to be English. I think it's a great place to live, and I think I make a positive contribution to that.

You've answered your own question there.

He of course had nothing to do with the England of the past, but he is part of what England is today. Those of us who are hardworking, energetic and stay out of trouble are entitled to feel proud of making England/Britain what it is today.

Does that inc the cherry picking bits, or all that England represents? If you define being proud as to your place of birth then you surely have to accept that you are proud of theives, rapists, murderers, their English. Or do they stop being English on a negative action? That's handy.

You can be proud of your achievement's as a person but to relate it to "Englishness" has no relevance. If it has relevance you have to ask yourself why. What effect does being proud to be English manifest itself on a personal level? Superiority? Arrogance? Pretentious?, supercilious?, egotistical?

Does that inc the cherry picking bits, or all that England represents? If you define being proud as to your place of birth then you surely have to accept that you are proud of theives, rapists, murderers, their English. Or do they stop being English on a negative action? That's handy.

You can be proud of your achievement's as a person but to relate it to "Englishness" has no relevance. If it has relevance you have to ask yourself why. What effect does being proud to be English manifest itself on a personal level? Superiority? Arrogance? Pretentious?, supercilious?, egotistical?

All that more than probably applies to wherever your from too! :huh:

All that more than probably applies to wherever your from too! :huh:

Quite right. So therefore your place of birth is not a definition of who or what you are. You as an achieving individual is. Achieving= pride is about choices. Birth isn't.

Quite right. So therefore your place of birth is not a definition of who or what you are. You as an achieving individual is. Achieving= pride is about choices. Birth isn't.

But the country you live in is! There is a lot of emphasis placed on where your from. Say if I go to Scotland I often get the cold shoulder once I open my mouth, if I go to the US and it's a conversation starter, if I went to Iraq it'd probably either get me shot or kidnapped.

The pride your on about is another aspect to the meaning, not the one inferred in the thread title.

Archived