Are you proud to be English

But the country you live in is! There is a lot of emphasis placed on where your from. Say if I go to Scotland I often get the cold shoulder once I open my mouth, if I go to the US and it's a conversation starter, if I went to Iraq it'd probably either get me shot or kidnapped.

The pride your on about is another aspect to the meaning, not the one inferred in the thread title.

Huh? The thread title is self explanatory, why are you assuming I've inferred a change in it?

My bold:

These are choices you make...you don't have to. As many keep repeating which to some does not compute..you can make choices regardless of your birthplace with the exception of choosing that birthplace.

Stay with the thread title..or change it to suit if you wish. Are you proud to be Blue/Brown/Green/Hazeled eyed? You can be happy that nature took its course yes, but to assume that you took precedence over nature is ironically founded in my previouse suggestion. Arrogance.

Huh? The thread title is self explanatory, why are you assuming I've inferred a change in it?

My bold:

These are choices you make...you don't have to. As many keep repeating which to some does not compute..you can make choices regardless of your birthplace with the exception of choosing that birthplace.

Stay with the thread title..or change it to suit if you wish. Are you proud to be Blue/Brown/Green/Hazeled eyed? You can be happy that nature took its course yes, but to assume that you took precedence over nature is ironically founded in my previouse suggestion. Arrogance.

What choice, to stay home so I don't offend others just because of my accent?

Whether i'm intelligent or not has nothing to do with my cultural origin and the connotations associated with it in history!

Your post is way off!

What choice, to stay home so I don't offend others just because of my accent?

Whether i'm intelligent or not has nothing to do with my cultural origin and the connotations associated with it in history!

Your post is way off!

No..go out there and accept who you are rather than being influenced by what others assume you are. You have no control over how you are affected through the thoughts and actions of others, unless you're a low achiever. Even if you're a high achiever their are those that will always hold a mindset that you're offensive. Let them get on with it because they've just added envy to the aspect of your pride.

No..go out there and accept who you are rather than being influenced by what others assume you are. You have no control over how you are affected through the thoughts and actions of others, unless you're a low achiever. Even if you're a high achiever their are those that will always hold a mindset that you're offensive. Let them get on with it because they've just added envy to the aspect of your pride.

Yes, basically what we all have to do. Deal with peoples misconceptions and inadequacies.

Your English is good.Which university are you attending as I know at Sheffield uni they have extra courses you can do to improve your english.

I am applying to study in Central St. Matins...

Between , how far is between Sheffield to London?

Do you know there is a book called " I dont want to be a Chinese again in my next life"

And this book is one of best seller in Hong Kong's bookstore.

Of course you surely cannot find this book in any place of Mainland China.

Is there any book called " I dont want to be a English again in my next life" ?

Of course I'm not proud to be English - how can one be proud of something one's had no influence over?

I am glad to be English. I think it's a great place to live, and I think I make a positive contribution to that.

what positive contribution have you made if you dont mind me asking ?

I enjoy living in England with my wife and children, but don't understand this need to feel "proud to be English". I have always thought this to be a nationalism belief.

If I had been born in a different country, say the USA, then I'd probably feel the same. I think one thing that is embarrassing about being English is the number of people who are intolerant of people who have moved here from other countries (especially people with darker skin). Also, when I visit other countries I have noticed that many people seem to consider the English as being drunkards, racists, and exceptionally sexually promiscuous! Are they correct, or are they just "proud of being ......."?

what positive contribution have you made if you dont mind me asking ?

Twenty years service in a caring profession, never out of work in my life, raised two good children, pay all my taxes, active in my local community. Offer my seat to old folks on the tram. I could go on, but it'd sound like self promotion.

Archived