Are you proud to be English

I suspect many folk are....but how can anyone feel proud about something they had no control over ?

National pride seems to be blind tribalism, a bit like that displayed by football supporters etc.

i agree. i have fallen out with some of my friends coz of the 'black pride' thing. it was useful when it came up but not anymore. you achieved nothing by an accident of birth. it just happened. do something then be proud of that, is what i say.

i agree. i have fallen out with some of my friends coz of the 'black pride' thing. it was useful when it came up but not anymore. you achieved nothing by an accident of birth. it just happened. do something then be proud of that, is what i say.
Pride in yourself seems a little shallow, but pride in others around you is so much better. I am proud of my kids for having achieved a decent level of education that I couldn't reach. There has to be a reason to be proud and not simply be proud of being born. As a nation of course we have a pride in the stability and civility of our government compared to many many smaller nations going through strife, we ought to be proud of free at point of use National Health Service in comparison to the American where you don't get anywhere without your credit card. To be proud of being born at a particular location, well, is a little absurd.

Pride in yourself seems a little shallow, but pride in others around you is so much better. I am proud of my kids for having achieved a decent level of education that I couldn't reach. There has to be a reason to be proud and not simply be proud of being born. As a nation of course we have a pride in the stability and civility of our government compared to many many smaller nations going through strife, we ought to be proud of free at point of use National Health Service in comparison to the American where you don't get anywhere without your credit card. To be proud of being born at a particular location, well, is a little absurd.

good points, and when you put it like that it does make sense to be British ie in the sense that you're saying you're proud of the traditions and achievement of your forebears and your peers. and, by extension, you're saying you aiming to carry on that tradition and improve on it. just being 'proud' without the implied responsibility that comes with it rings hollow.

as for your kids- be proud.

You dont need a credit card if you're a US citizen and part of a health plan which most people are. You pay for the health plan by payroll deduction. In England you pay for much of the NHS from petrol taxes and income tax so it all boils down to the same thing in the end. It aint free. You pay for it.

You dont need a credit card if you're a US citizen and part of a health plan which most people are. You pay for the health plan by payroll deduction. In England you pay for much of the NHS from petrol taxes and income tax so it all boils down to the same thing in the end. It aint free. You pay for it.
I am not familiar with the American system apart from what we hear on the media. We get so much about this and the impression is that American system is neglecting the very poor. Those on the poverty boundaries may may not be able to afford a health plan, so what happens to them, are they still looked after as they are in Britain?

Actually it's called national insurance...

Archived