Passport not held what ID would i need for Ireland?

Hiya all

Im travelling to Dublin in march I'm there for only a coupla days, I dont really want to pay for a ten yr passport which Im not likely ever going to use again, does anyone know what ID i would need boarding the ferry for Ireland? (p.s I dont drive either I only hold a provisional).

regards

GF

Certainly when traveling by 'plane to Dublin you need photo-id at the check-in and more often than not there is a check at a barrier when entering the airport upon landing.

I was also advised that you need to carry photo-id with you in case asked for it by the Garda.

Acceptable photo-id is a passport, photo-driving licence or national identity card. Employee identity cards, Blockbusters membership cards are not accepted.

Your travel itinerary from the ferry company will tell you.

UK citizen's don't need a passport as far as the Eire Govt is concerned, although you need to be able to prove your identity - a driver licence (doesnt have to be photo licence), credit cards, bus pass, pension book - anything like that is fine. All other EU nationals need passport or ID card.

Your ferry/airline may have stricter requirements - Stenaline have never asked me for anything more thana drivers licence though, and I think in probably a hundred or more trips to Eire the only time anyone actually looked at my ID was when I gave a witness statement for a road accident.

yeah im going by stenaline just rang them actually and they say a prov lisence is ok and i have an old employee photo ID from the NHS so that should be okay, they even said utility credit/debit cards will suffice, so, but thanx for all your sound advice, christy moore expect me over to the emerald isle -here i come :)

Last time I took the ferry to Dublin (at xmas) I didn't need to show any ID at all. Sometimes they don't even look at my ticket, they just go off your reg no, confirm the number of people in the car and off you go! I usually take my passport out of habit really but drivers licence will do.

Sometimes if you get the ferry they will let you on without a passport maybe with a driving licence.

But Ryanair, I know for certain will only accept a passport. I'm not sure if any airlines will accept a driving licence but I know for a fact that if you don't have a driving licence and want to fly you MUST have a passport for all airlines.

I know this for a fact because sadly one of my family in the ROI died recently and her grandaughter could not get over there even though we tried literally EVERYWHERE because she didn't have a valid passport.

Hmmm, going for a weekend in Dublin yet can't afford to pay another £10 a month to pay off a debt?

Have a great time :)

Have you considered the possibility that he/she might be going to Dublin to WORK!

p.s. -in answer to the OP's question, we have been to Ireland many times, by ferry, though on an organised coach trip, and never had to show any ID.

Archived