Speed humps damaging your vehicle.

I have no issue with the humps that are the full width of the road and are correctly and evenly laid.

However the stupid little orange square DO damage vehicles, even if they are travelling a a reasonable rate ie less than the speed limit. There are some not far from my house and you can see the gouges from where the exhaust systems have impacted.

Even my own car catches on some, it's FACTORY standard as far as the ride height is concerned & the exhaust is as tight up the the underside as it can be (also FACTORY standard).

On the ones that have caught and really made a noise, I've pulled over to check my car and also looked at the hump. Everytime they to be proud of the road surface at all four corners of the hump. Corners that SHOULD be flush with the surface.

The other annoyance about them is the insistance on 3 of these abreast a TWO lane road, meaning you have to slow to a crawl and navigate around them rather than a straight and steady course.

Speed humps are not good for your suspension. To avoid any sort of wear or damage from continued travelling over them, you have to slow to 5-10 mph which is ridiculous. I understand why they put them there, but they are an utter pain.

I have no issue with the humps that are the full width of the road and are correctly and evenly laid.

However the stupid little orange square DO damage vehicles, even if they are travelling a a reasonable rate ie less than the speed limit. There are some not far from my house and you can see the gouges from where the exhaust systems have impacted.

Even my own car catches on some, it's FACTORY standard as far as the ride height is concerned & the exhaust is as tight up the the underside as it can be (also FACTORY standard).

On the ones that have caught and really made a noise, I've pulled over to check my car and also looked at the hump. Everytime they to be proud of the road surface at all four corners of the hump. Corners that SHOULD be flush with the surface.

The other annoyance about them is the insistance on 3 of these abreast a TWO lane road, meaning you have to slow to a crawl and navigate around them rather than a straight and steady course.

Agreed, the pyramid/square orange/red ones are the worst.

The full width ones are okay because your suspension is MEANT to go up and down, with the square ones, even if you go over them centrally, the slopes on either side push your wheels apart, putting excess strain on your steering components no matter how slow you drive!

Hmmm I hate speed bumps and do find them annoying, but I drive a nearly 20 year old car, that is lowered as well and I've never caught one or had any damaged caused by one. I'm always very careful around them though.

I too would actually rather have speed cams in such areas as I'm happy to stick to the limit but speed bumps drive me nuts!

speed humps are put there for a reason to slow cars down etc..but they are a damn nuisance to the general public.especially when they are every few yards,god knows the damage it does to your suspension..they are a real pain.money would be better spent repairing the roads of south yorkshire they are a real disgrace.

They are very annoying, I have spent a fortune on one of my cars in particular and most of the time I can't put my foot down without the risk of one of these ridiculous bumps ripping out the underside.

The aptly (:roll:) named 'speed cushions'... they are a menace. Speed bumps should not damage your car when you go over them at 20mph but these little <REMOVED> do. I don't see why we have to deal with these daft little speed 'cushions' just so buses can drive past the humps without being affected.

Archived