Speed humps damaging your vehicle.

The aptly (:roll:) named 'speed cushions'... they are a menace. Speed bumps should not damage your car when you go over them at 20mph but these little <REMOVED> do. I don't see why we have to deal with these daft little speed 'cushions' just so buses can drive past the humps without being affected.

Never thought of that shaz, are these bumps another bash at forcing folk to use public transport while at the same time hitting us with higher road tax?

A friend of mine bought a Ferrari testarossa many years ago. It was brand new so hadn't been lowered or anything (factory standard)

On his first outing the exhaust was damaged so badly it had to be replaced at immense cost due to a speed hump. He was in a traffic crawl at the time ... Cambridge, rush hour (oxymoron!)

The council didn't want to know about it and after another similar incident he was forced to sell it.

I see so many scrapes on speed calming humps in Sheffield nowadays ... it doesn't matter wether you're driving fast or slow, if you've got a low car it will be damaged! Many expensive sports cars are designed to be close to the ground and pass all the relevant tests to be street legal ... why should they be penalised by ill thought road planning? Councils should be forced to pay for the damage their 'calming' schemes inflict ... unfortunately that means the tax payer! :mad:

I absolutely detest speed bumps because i usually drive one of two cars either my sj410 which has all round leaf springs which while very robust do not give it a soft ride so to go over a speed bump and not come out of the seat means going over them at around 5mph, i have even been overtaken on them once.

The other car i usually drive is my pride and joy celica supra which is rare as hens teeth now and i take very good care of it which means yet again very slow over speed bumps 10-20mph depending on bump severity, coupled with the fact that i can't see the point in wearing out my breaks by speeding up and braking between bumps so i just go through the whole lot slow and drive the people behind me nuts.

What about those new boingy metal poles that jump out of the road for no apparent reason? One minute your driving along behind a lorry (which against any rational explainable law in the universe is allowed to go where it likes) Next minute your sump and crankshaft is punched out!

Is it so vitally important to destroy a vehicle on the spot for a mere traffic transgression? :huh:

God knows the outcome if it were a motorcyclist ... could the council be done for attempted murder?

I've seen instances of cars being destroyed like this on the telly (police type programmes) the smug TV commentator says stuff like 'Ouch' or 'I bet he won't be doing that again in a hurry!' (cue pre-recorded laughs) :loopy::gag:

I absolutely detest speed bumps because i usually drive one of two cars either my sj410 which has all round leaf springs which while very robust do not give it a soft ride so to go over a speed bump and not come out of the seat means going over them at around 5mph.

Which shows they are serving their purpose. At least, upon you; there are plenty of other people who go over them at considerably higher speeds.

Which shows they are serving their purpose. At least, upon you; there are plenty of other people who go over them at considerably higher speeds.

Although I respect your posts Mr North, I have to disagree with you. MadnBad stated he has to drive over speed humps at 5mph. Normal roads have a 30mph speed limit (maybe 20mph in some areas) I presume Mr Bad was referring to normal roads. He has to slow right down to avoid damage to his car which I presume is taxed, tested and insured (therefore perfectly road legal) Is it right to penalise drivers of older cars by puting obstacles in their way which the cars were clearly not designed for?

Also, where do you stand with sports cars which, although totally legal are so low as to be damaged by these 'calming' devices ... should they be banned? (the cars)

I think you've been heading north for a few years now and still not got there!

Presume you're walking ... bear in mind this is the modern age and people drive cars and pay large amounts for the privilidge! Roads are for driving on, not for avoiding.:)

The square cushions seem to be better if you go over them about 20mph or more, any thing between 20-10 mph and they really jolt the car. I actually speed up now on one road as it is less painful on my back to go over them a little faster :hihi::confused: (I'm still under the speed limit)

That said on some road the pot holes are more of a bump than the speed bumps :hihi:

They ruin the road as well.

Springfield Road is like a cart track.

Yep. When going up that in my little 1l car I already have to drop into second just to get the momentum to get up the hill, then find myself having to slow down even more for speed bumps!

Archived