Speed humps damaging your vehicle.

What kind of "older cars" are we talking about? I've driven various old sheds and classics and never encountered a problem.

I can only quote from personal experience. I had a 1953 Triumph TR2 (complete nuts and bolts restoration) That bottomed out on several occasions going over road humps causing damage ... a bit annoying after a year long rebuild! :(

A friend of mine bought a Ferrari testarossa many years ago. It was brand new so hadn't been lowered or anything (factory standard)

On his first outing the exhaust was damaged so badly it had to be replaced at immense cost due to a speed hump. He was in a traffic crawl at the time ... Cambridge, rush hour (oxymoron!)

The council didn't want to know about it and after another similar incident he was forced to sell it.

I see so many scrapes on speed calming humps in Sheffield nowadays ... it doesn't matter wether you're driving fast or slow, if you've got a low car it will be damaged! Many expensive sports cars are designed to be close to the ground and pass all the relevant tests to be street legal ... why should they be penalised by ill thought road planning? Councils should be forced to pay for the damage their 'calming' schemes inflict ... unfortunately that means the tax payer! :mad:

Couldn't agree more. I have to plan journeys in my TVR very carefully. It has brand new shocks, springs, bushes and balljoints all round; yet It still sits too low to travel over the speed cushions. I have to make sure the centre of the car passes over the gap between 2 cushions otherwise the exhaust grounds.

The Wife's A2 has another problem with them, as the track on it is quite narow, and as such we have to slow to well below the legal limit to negotiate these obstacles.

The Golf on the other hand, has no issues with ground clearence or track, and I can easily take these bumps at the legal, and I suspect over the legal limit.

I would rather see more speed cameras than these awful speed cushions.

if speed humps has been proved 100% to have caused the damage, then why don't you send the bill to SCC recorded delivery, if they ignore it then go the small claims court the same as any other business that doesn't pay their bills, you never know, it might get picked up and reported by the star 6 months later :hihi:

There hopeless,how often does some clown park right next to one, forcing you to go right over the middle,iv had this countless times a week.

It can only add uneeded EXTRA wear and tear to a vehicle,especially if you drive over them regulary.

Im all for restrictions on speed in built up areas,but i hate these things.

Want along Carbrook Hall Road today (behind the Carbrook Hall pub) and there are speed humps all along and they're like little mountains, even at 10mph.

well get out and measure them, they can be no higher than 100mm if they are then the council have to remove them straight away or else they are on breach of the 1999 traffic calming regs

speed humps are put there for a reason to slow cars down etc..but they are a damn nuisance to the general public.especially when they are every few yards,god knows the damage it does to your suspension..they are a real pain.money would be better spent repairing the roads of south yorkshire they are a real disgrace.

Speed bumps are there because people speed. If people didn't speed then the bumps wouldn't be there. You are blaming the wrong people.

Speed bumps are there because people speed. If people didn't speed then the bumps wouldn't be there. You are blaming the wrong people.

bit like if no one broke the law we wouldn't have more camera's and be more watched than russia in the 80's!!!

Archived