Ian's legacy (fatal victim of homophobic attack)

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23917437-ex-public-schoolgirl-to-be-sentenced-over-trafalgar-square-homophobic-killing.do

Just watched the news item on FIVE news about this. I found it vomit-inducing. And the sentencing, almost as much as the crime.

Ian's friend spoke of what he would like to become Ian's legacy: - that more and more people should report incidences of homophobic attacks to the police and that we should all challenge homophobia in the workplace, or otherwise.

I fully support this plea, and ask others to do so. Thank you.

I remember this being reported in the press some weeks ago and being (for a usually rather unshockable sort of person) quite horrified by the senseless hatred involved in this crime.

The thought that was foremost in my head was 'How could this young woman be so consumed by an irrational hatred at her age?' Hatred of homosexuals isn't an innate thing - it's learned. Whoever it was taught this woman to hate like she did has a lot to answer for.

Oh - and yes, I fully support the notion that homophobia should be challenged and reported whenever it rears its ugly head.

without a doubt. it is in cases like these, i think, when it's more important to give exemplary sentences than some other cases.

That was very sad. The thing that made me most angry is that girl is from literally spitting distance from where I grew up and I know people who went to her school and, FFS, we were all Londoners, you would have really, really struggled to find anybody who would public admit to that kind of predjudice down there especially in that age group.

I can't get across how absolutely monumentally evil and bigoted this girl must have been to have been living a life like that at that school in her area with all those privileges.

She showed no remorse and up until a few days ago was still posting messages on facebook laughing about it and abusing this man.

But, you may be pleased to know, apparently most days she gets **** through her letterbox and rocks thrown at her windows. Normally I wouldn't condone that kind of behaviour but I do about her. She was an absolute animal before this happened, it was obvious something like this was going to happen. I say this because one of my own relatives was on the sticky end of this little bitch once. Apparently it is funny to take the wheelchair of someone with MS when they're in photobooth having their picture taken leaving them half stranded.

I can't begin to fathom what goes through the heads of people like this when they set out to inflict pain and misery, in this case leading to death, on complete strangers for no reason. Sickening and a tragic loss for Ian's friends and familly. Personally I don't think that 7 years out in 3 1/2 is sufficient punishment for taking a persons life in this way.

Archived