Ian's legacy (fatal victim of homophobic attack)

Perhaps I should have said "a society that looks for excuses for such behaviour". Read the article about her parents circumstances.

We dont want excuses, just punishment enough to deter others from ANY sort of killing.

fair point. not all kids from bad home go onto to murder... and society, you being part of it, on the whole doesn't look for excuses or explanation. the gap between those in power( judges, law makers etc) and the man on the streets means that if you read the papers( because only the judgments etc are mentioned) you might think 'society' does this. truth is a straw poll on your street or in a pub would show most people are outraged and want punishment, no excuses.

the problem with exemplar punishment, of course, is that it can be unfair just to prove some moral point. in the process trampling on the very morality of that punishment.

fair point. not all kids from bad home go onto to murder... and society, you being part of it, on the whole doesn't look for excuses or explanation. the gap between those in power( judges, law makers etc) and the man on the streets means that if you read the papers( because only the judgments etc are mentioned) you might think 'society' does this. truth is a straw poll on your street or in a pub would show most people are outraged and want punishment, no excuses.

the problem with exemplar punishment, of course, is that it can be unfair just to prove some moral point. in the process trampling on the very morality of that punishment.

Your argument will eventually disappear up your own 'rear end'. Why bother punishing anybody for anything ???? People demand justice, It makes them feel safe and protected. AS WE ALL SHOULD FEEL.

There are too many people being bullied, humiliated, living in fear or being physically abused or killed because of their sexuality for us to trivialise it by pretending that it's some kind of con pulled by gays to get attention or compensation.

Erm, I'm not saying that.

if it sounded like i was trivializing the case, or that it was some 'con' that's not what i wanted. i said he had a point because crime does occur sometimes with no other motive than just, well, none really. or money, or whatever. and if this happens, it should be called as such. a gay couple was robbed for their money.

a disabled man is conned in an e mail scam. a house belonging to a black family is burgled. if the motive in all these crimes was merely money, it is right it should be reported as such. nothing more.

i did point out in other posts that i do think this was a homophobic attack.

I agree that in many cases the victim of a crimes colour or sexuality or disabilty is coincidental rather than targeted - and I'm sure that you didn't mean to imply that you personally were trivialising - nevertheless the notion that any old 'tragedy that befalls a gay person as being motivated by homophobia' holds any water.

She could shout that at any random guy in Trafalgar Square to provoke a fight, gay or not.

I'm not trying to excuse her or anything, but I think reporting every tragedy that befals a gay person as being motivated by homophobia is a bit missleading.

Erm, I'm not saying that.

Could you clarify it please? I read what you say there as meaning that you think there are lots and lots of cases where a misfortune, a complete accident, befalls a gay person and they blame it on homophobia or that others decide that it is on their behalf.

I just don't accept that as being true.

I agree that in many cases the victim of a crimes colour or sexuality or disabilty is coincidental rather than targeted - and I'm sure that you didn't mean to imply that you personally were trivialising - nevertheless the notion that any old 'tragedy that befalls a gay person as being motivated by homophobia' holds any water.

i see your point. :thumbsup:

The day we accept these attacks as part of 'everyday life' though, is the day when we should give up life on earth as a bad job.

Come on stop being so dramatic,drunken fights have existed ever since man first learned to brew beer,they are part of everyday life 99% never get heard of again and are forgotten as soon as they finish,some like this have unfortunate endings ,its a shame but it happens,much the same as people get killed in car accidents everyday and people get killed in what would seem trivial stupid accidents,Im sure the Girl didnt mean for the man to die and Im sure shes regretting it now sat in a cell.If we all worried about day to day accidents that may happen none of us would leave the house,we would probably get killed there too with a faulty plug or something.As I said earlier different circumstances combined made sure this got media attention and indeed posted on here ,if it had been jack the lad from the Manor nobody would have bothered,well maybe the same people who are crying on here would have said he deserved it and had it coming

Come on stop being so dramatic,drunken fights have existed ever since man first learned to brew beer,they are part of everyday life 99% never get heard of again and are forgotten as soon as they finish,some like this have unfortunate endings ,its a shame but it happens,much the same as people get killed in car accidents everyday and people get killed in what would seem trivial stupid accidents,Im sure the Girl didnt mean for the man to die and Im sure shes regretting it now sat in a cell.If we all worried about day to day accidents that may happen none of us would leave the house,we would probably get killed there too with a faulty plug or something.As I said earlier different circumstances combined made sure this got media attention and indeed posted on here ,if it had been jack the lad from the Manor nobody would have bothered,well maybe the same people who are crying on here would have said he deserved it and had it coming

I hope she is regretting it. I wonder if the fact she killed a homosexual is why you're feeling so forgiving?

It wasn't a 'day to day accident' was it Bass? That man was killed because and only because someone hated him because he was gay.

Archived