Ian's legacy (fatal victim of homophobic attack)

I am reminded of a case in Sheffield recently where someone was given a paltry sentence of four years for manslaughter for beating a stranger about the head and killing him.

I think sentencing ought to reflect the fact that, although there may not have been an intention to kill, when you launch a violent assault upon another person, there is always the possibility that the consequences can be fatal and therefore you should reap what you sow.

Would you have grassed her up for her crime, if it was down to?

Thats something I cant answer out right,if I was there I would probably have tried to stop it ,not stand back like others seemed to and then I would have offered assistance to the victim until the authorities came and consequently provided a statement,If I would be acting on third party information i.e. hearsay ,no I wouldnt

i share your rage and indignation. but the paper does say "The court heard that Thomas, a former pupil at £12,000-a-year Sydenham High School for Girls, had an appalling upbringing suffering homelessness, domestic violence, alcoholism at 15 and bullying at school.

Her mother, a legal secretary, scrimped and saved for her to be privately educated. But her father was also convicted of manslaughter when his daughter was 11 and was later committed to a mental hospital."

so things were not all well in the house. that is no excuse or explanation still.

It's very easy to say things like that and have your mother back you up when you're on trial for killing someone. However most of these things happened when she was very young and her father did not live with the family after that time.

Apart from that her childhood was affluent and she lived in a nice area, in a nice home, with a nice family car which were always said to be partly due to money from her grandparents who were supposedly very wealthy, people from the area don't remember her having an awful childhood or even claiming to have had an awful childhood up to this incident, infact, she was more likely to boast about her families wealth.

I mean, come on, if you're on the average salary of £24,000 a year, or even boost that up to £30,000 a year considering it's London do you really think that that you could spend £12,000 a year of that after tax on sending your child to a private school no matter how much scrimping and saving you did? And if you're apparently scrimping and saving to send your child to school why wouild you go and live in leafy Anerley which is an expensive area rather than, say, Streatham or St Mary Cray?

There are plenty of people who grow up in far, far worse circumstances and have problems with addiction who don't go on to kill people. She may have faced a few problems but she had a middle class priveliged upbringing.

It's very easy to say things like that and have your mother back you up when you're on trial for killing someone. However most of these things happened when she was very young and her father did not live with the family after that time.

Apart from that her childhood was affluent and she lived in a nice area, in a nice home, with a nice family car which were always said to be partly due to money from her grandparents who were supposedly very wealthy, people from the area don't remember her having an awful childhood or even claiming to have had an awful childhood up to this incident, infact, she was more likely to boast about her families wealth.

I mean, come on, if you're on the average salary of £24,000 a year, or even boost that up to £30,000 a year considering it's London do you really think that that you could spend £12,000 a year of that after tax on sending your child to a private school no matter how much scrimping and saving you did? And if you're apparently scrimping and saving to send your child to school why wouild you go and live in leafy Anerley which is an expensive area rather than, say, Streatham or St Mary Cray?

There are plenty of people who grow up in far, far worse circumstances and have problems with addiction who don't go on to kill people. She may have faced a few problems but she had a middle class priveliged upbringing.

that's what i was saying. that her upbringing, no matter how harsh it might have been is not an excuse or an explanation for what she did. i quoted the above from the article to show what she was saying played a part.

I am reminded of a case in Sheffield recently where someone was given a paltry sentence of four years for manslaughter for beating a stranger about the head and killing him.

I think sentencing ought to reflect the fact that, although there may not have been an intention to kill, when you launch a violent assault upon another person, there is always the possibility that the consequences can be fatal and therefore you should reap what you sow.

I agree. The whole "intent" to kill thing means the sentences for manslaughter are laughable. Taking a life is the worst possible thing... what exactly did she intend when she was kicking him repeatedly in the head?

Thats something I cant answer out right,if I was there I would probably have tried to stop it ,not stand back like others seemed to and then I would have offered assistance to the victim until the authorities came and consequently provided a statement,If I would be acting on third party information i.e. hearsay ,no I wouldnt

You're really trying hard to wriggle out of this aren't you?

Let's suppose a third party reliably informed you that this girl had done the crime, you're saying you wouldn't tell the police?

You're really trying hard to wriggle out of this aren't you?

Let's suppose a third party reliably informed you that this girl had done the crime, you're saying you wouldn't tell the police?

Wheres the wriggling numpty ..read the last sentence re hearsay

Why should I "wriggle out" as you so eloquently put it..what part of the post re "If I were there" dont you understand

Wheres the wriggling numpty ..read the last sentence re hearsay

Why should I "wriggle out" as you so eloquently put it..what part of the post re "If I were there" dont you understand

I understand you wouldn't report it unless you walked into it.

I understand you wouldn't report it unless you walked into it.

Use your common,it was a serious incident therefore it would have been reported straight away by the time I got a hearsay account I would imagine everybody who needed to be there would have arrived.I just dont get your drift with this are you being deliberately obtuse or does it just come naturally.Re read my post on" if I were there",again" and see if you can understand it this time.Iv just read on the BBC web page that Charlie Gilmour has been charged with violent disorder in London..Do you think I should ring Attercliffe Police and report it..after all I wasnt there either

Archived