Does the Royal family really need to be so rich?

I was doing my usual of trying to put my mind onto something else while doing some house work today and a thought crossed my mind. While wiping the bathrooms taps and thinking to myself, I wonder if the Queen has ever cleaned a tap I quickly started thinking about why the Royal Family is so rich. Then it occurred to me they have no reason to horde such a massive wealth. Especially those on the civil list considering the UK tax payer is paying them to do very little. One that stands out is Price Charles who appears to have commercial interests as well as their Royal Family duties.

Why does the Royal Family need to be so rich? and why do we not use their resources to help the country in its time of need?

From what I can understand, and this is no mean feet coming from a staunchly Royalist family, the Royal family could easily go about their duties on less then a 10th of their income. They can stay as head of state but could easily cost us less and give up some of their, or should I say, our assets for the good of the country. In a time when we are all asked to do our bit and bare the burden of the many cuts to services, what is the royal family doing?

Serapis even if you're not a millionaire you are probably wealthier than about 95% of the world's population.

When are you going to send your excessive wealth off to the impoverished people of the third world?

If you kept, say, £10 a week for your own use you would still have far more than the majority of the world's population.

Set an example! - Maybe the Queen will follow suit. - But you do it first.

Personally I've never understood the attraction of being 'super rich'!

Sure you need a decent level of income to put a room over your head, clothe and feed yourself but above and beyond that wouldn't make a difference to me.

However I can see that some people may like a few luxuries such as a big house, second home or a boat for example which could be bought for £3m if they are so inclined. I just don't see the advantage of having £3bn over £30m? In either case you can buy pretty much what you want and never have to work again. Is it a question of status?

Personally I've never understood the attraction of being 'super rich'!

Sure you need a decent level of income to put a room over your head, clothe and feed yourself but above and beyond that wouldn't make a difference to me.

However I can see that some people may like a few luxuries such as a big house, second home or a boat for example which could be bought for £3m if they are so inclined. I just don't see the advantage of having £3bn over £30m? In either case you can buy pretty much what you want and never have to work again. Is it a question of status?

Not much point in trying to explain it to you then! :hihi:;)

Archived