Does the Royal family really need to be so rich?

The Royal Family are rich in their own right through owning land eg Charles' income derives almost entirely from the Duchy of Cornwall. Yes they've received much of that land through being Royal, but then the Duke of Westminster, who is I believe the biggest land owner in the UK has in herited his land and income with his title just the same.

The Civil List covers the Queen's expenses for carrying out Royal duties. She covered 388 Royal engagements last year which isn't bad for an 85 year old. In addition she personally deals with state papers every day of her life, and has many other commitments.

If this sounds like I am a monarchist, I'm not, but in effect if you stop the civil list payments the Queen would cease to have a job, but still have pots of land and cash.

Whether it's right for the aristocracy to own land is another argument entirely and can always be sorted out with a revolution, just ask the French and Russians.

The Royal Family are rich in their own right through owning land eg Charles' income derives almost entirely from the Duchy of Cornwall. Yes they've received much of that land through being Royal, but then the Duke of Westminster, who is I believe the biggest land owner in the UK has in herited his land and income with his title just the same.

The Civil List covers the Queen's expenses for carrying out Royal duties. She covered 388 Royal engagements last year which isn't bad for an 85 year old. In addition she personally deals with state papers every day of her life, and has many other commitments.

If this sounds like I am a monarchist, I'm not, but in effect if you stop the civil list payments the Queen would cease to have a job, but still have pots of land and cash.

Whether it's right for the aristocracy to own land is another argument entirely and can always be sorted out with a revolution, just ask the French and Russians.

Exactly - all the land should belong to the people.

They are, in fact, a set of very rich squatters and we are daft enough to allow it.

• 3 weeks later...

Isn't it just jealosy that they have more money than you? Certain people are always going to have more money than others. Why even bother debating it when it will never change? The Queen and the Royal Family work very hard for our country and deserve to be respected.

Anyway, in theory, the civil list payments are made because the monarchy gave up revenues from the Crown Estate (which profit today is £210.7 million per year)

Archived