Advice on selling a cherished registration plate

Has anyone here ever sold a cherished plate and how easy is it? Just looking for a little advice as its going to cost me bit over £100 to put the plate on a retention certificate for the year (car is insurance write off and i have a letter stating they have no interest in the plate). If i want to keep the plate i have to do it soon as the insurance company will want the replacement log book back

Plate is only worth a few hundred though and what i dont want to do is spend £100 in order to be able to sell it and then find that plates arent selling as its £100 i cant afford to throw away otherwise :/

any advice would be appreciated as unsure if to just cut losses and bnot bother with the plate :confused:

Even if you had someone willing to buy it you would need to put it on retention and then put the buyer on as a nominee. You will have to pay the money to put the plate on retention otherwise you will end up losing the plate.

im wanting to sell the plate on. i know i have to put it on a retention to do this but this costs money. looking really for experiences how easy it is to sell on - i know there are services to sell plates but dont want to just to be on a retention for a year until i lose it anyway because i cant get a buyer.

plate is HKZ 7737 - as said its not worth vast amounts but is worth more than the retention fee if i can sell it. Ive lost out hugely with my car being written off and now still getting screwed by insurance, just dont want to lose out on a few extra £s i could get back for plate but as ive not done it before dont know if id be taking a gamble. no point spending £100 if i cant sell it :/ i know it takes a little while for these things to go through but just dont know if people are buying plates, i know a lot of people dont have money to spare atm (me included!)

thanks for any help

if it is a normal layout plate it is worth very little, if it has 2-3 numbers and letters only then it might be worth it

ah yeah i know its not worth a lot but been valued a few hundred which is obv a profit on the cost of retention if i can sell it

ah yeah i know its not worth a lot but been valued a few hundred which is obv a profit on the cost of retention if i can sell it

If you look on elite plate, they will want 40-50% comission to list on their site, its not worth the gamble to spend that much to put on rentension for a small return, srry just seem the number, it is a irish plate and worth next to nothing just scrape it

a dealer is only selling it for £199 here

http://www.plates4less.co.uk/WideSearch.asp?QuickSearchInput=hkz&actionType=search&Style=P

But this dealer has them for sale at around £500

http://www.regtransfers.co.uk/main/searchs/searchresults.asp

I'd put it on retention and try to sell it, if it doesn't sell, then keep it and put it on a car in the future.

Archived