Counselling Awareness course

Has anyone here ever taken a course in Counselling? If so, is there a particular course in Sheffield that you would be able to recommend?

I've been toying with the idea of taking a course (night class as I work full-time) in this area for quite a while and have spotted the Counselling Awareness - OCN Level 1 course at Sheffield College. It seems like this would be the most suitable course since I have not taken a counselling course in the past but I would just be interested to know what other people who may have taken this, or a similar, course have to say about it.

I'm interested in this kind of thing and am also keen to arm myself with enough skills to possibly warrant a career change in the future but have very little knowledge about whether the evening courses offered at Sheffield College would be a viable progression route into a counselling career so if, by any chance, there are any counsellors are reading this, I'd be interested to hear your views!

I did the course you mention a couple of years ago. I really enjoyed it! Teaches you a lot about yourself and how you deal with things. I found the techniques, especially the listening skills that were covered came in really useful when I applied to do voluntary work (there was a course to complete before starting the vol work). Picked up some very useful skills that even if you don't use them to get you a job in that area, they were still useful in everyday life. It's only 10 weeks so you don't get too bogged down. It's a good course to ease yourself into counselling.:)

I did the course you mention a couple of years ago. I really enjoyed it! Teaches you a lot about yourself and how you deal with things. I found the techniques, especially the listening skills that were covered came in really useful when I applied to do voluntary work (there was a course to complete before starting the vol work). Picked up some very useful skills that even if you don't use them to get you a job in that area, they were still useful in everyday life. It's only 10 weeks so you don't get too bogged down. It's a good course to ease yourself into counselling.:)

Have to agree with Lulu on this. I also did this course when I lived in Sheffield and I've also found that some of the skills learnt have been useful in my everyday life.

I would definitely recommend it.

Thanks for your replies :) I'm definitely going to try and get enrolled on the next course, I've been thinking about it for a long time!

Am I right in thinking that the OCN Level 1 course is a good pre-requisite for the Level 2 NCFE course that Sheffield College also offers?

Archived