Buying A Sports Car

To me a sports car and a performance car are two separate things or as Wiki puts it.

By that definition a sports car must also be a performance car.

Sports cars have been either spartan or luxurious, but good handling and high performance is requisite

Which is why I'd say that many 2 seats convertibles don't actually qualify. Like my Dads 1.8l Z3, high performance it is not.

To add to the Z3 conversation, I wouldn't recommend one, the suspension is poor, in the low powered variants it doesn't matter, but in the Z3M the suspension and chassis aren't up to the job. I test drove one before I bought my (previous car) Z4 2.5, and now have the Z4M which is very different.

E-type Jaguar?

If an MGB was a sports car, was an MGB GT not a sports car?

Yes I know we are splitting hairs, sports car / performance car but I still feel the OP needs to realise the difference when she makes her choice.

Does she want the handling for country lane driving or performance for motorway driving …….. no doubt someone will say you can have both.

I always wanted one of these and then they went and spoilt them by putting rubber bumpers on them.

Very different cars, and in all honesty the impreza is faster, probably both in a straight line an around some twisty roads.

Don't get me wrong MX5's are nice cars to drive, but it's not a performance car, and by the definition you got from wikipedia earlier, that means not a sports car either.

this is both though, and faster than the impreza.

Very different cars, and in all honesty the impreza is faster, probably both in a straight line an around some twisty roads.

Don't get me wrong MX5's are nice cars to drive, but it's not a performance car, and by the definition you got from wikipedia earlier, that means not a sports car either.

this is both though, and faster than the impreza.

I think you are taking the word “performance” wrongly, with the sports car I think they were talking about all round performance rather that flat out performance which to me is what you get with a FTO and a Scooby which is what the OP talked about.

The Z4 may be nice but for 40k I could get two MX 5’s, I wouldn’t have to take the lid of one then. :hihi:

Hi all,

I've been thinking of getting myself a sports car (second-hand, obv, and also reasonably-priced one) but curious to know what kind of things are good to drive etc. As an example, my bf drove an FTO, then an RX8 and now is looking to buy a Scooby, which are all very boys-toys kinda cars. I'm a girl, but I hate the crappy little coupes labelled as 'ladies cars' that you see women driving. I want something a bit more meaty!

Any suggestions?

As a starting point, I'm not looking to shell out more than about £8,000 for a second-hand car. Not fussed about age or mileage (up to a reasonable point, say 10 years or 60,000 miles). Don't care about car model or make... so any suggestions of cool sports cars that I can Google and drool over their pics! :D

cheers x

Do you like women men who you can say You are far too easy :o too?

3 litre Alfa GTV ?

Not a boys-toys sort of car, not "girly" either......I won't promise reliability though !

we have a GTV, has been totally reliable (dont listen to the top gear alpha comments!) and is RAYT fast!

would class it as a totally "unisex" car.

V.V. happy with it

Archived