Where can I submit a short story?

selphie

Ok.

So i've written a short fiction story for an English assignment and my english tutor today said that it was so good that I should submit it to some magazines and make some money out of it. Now she has got a magazine in mind and is going to bring the details into college next week but I wondered if there was anywhere else I could submit it to?

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

PS Be gentle with me, it's my first time on here :):)

Ok.

So i've written a short fiction story for an English assignment and my english tutor today said that it was so good that I should submit it to some magazines and make some money out of it. Now she has got a magazine in mind and is going to bring the details into college next week but I wondered if there was anywhere else I could submit it to?

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

PS Be gentle with me, it's my first time on here :):)

you could submit it to any magazine you know to take the kind of story you have. we don't know what it's about, it's style etc so can't make any suggestions. but good on you for making work your tutor says should be in print.

Like Kaimani says, you need to think about the style and content of your story and consider who would be your target audience - it might help to take a trip to WHSmith and have a really good browse through any and every magazine that prints short fiction pieces; find one you think your piece would fit in and give them a shout.

Congrats and good luck.

Most of the markets for short fiction don't appear on the shelves at WHS. There's a huge network of literary magazines which you can usually only get on subscription.

The short fiction market is a very exacting one, and it's very difficult for a first-time writer to sell their stories; and even when they do, they're very unlikely to earn anything like a decent amount of money. Not that I want to squish your dreams: but please don't be disappointed if you fail to sell your first story (or, indeed, your fortieth...).

My story is a narrative/expressive piece. I'd be happy to send it to anyone who might want to read it. My tutor said to enter it into a competition because magazines like people who aren't from a writing background. It really is my first ever attempt at writing and probably my last lol!!!

Thank you everyone for your suggestions x

My story is a narrative/expressive piece.

Selphie, just about all short stories are narrative and expressive. What you need to do is identify which genre it is--for example, literary, SF/F, womag--and then find appropriate markets for that sort of story.

I'd be happy to send it to anyone who might want to read it. My tutor said to enter it into a competition because magazines like people who aren't from a writing background.

I'm sorry, but your tutor doesn't seem to know much about the short story market. Magazines don't care whether you're from a writing background or a building background: if the story you've submitted to them works for their market, they'll want it.

It really is my first ever attempt at writing and probably my last lol!!!

Thank you everyone for your suggestions x

Good luck with your writing.

• 2 weeks later...

Selphie, the quickest answer is to register on duotrope.com and search their huge database (3275 at time of posting!) of magazines and anthologies. All of these are fee-free (as in it costs nothing to submit) and so it's worth a look. The hardest part is searching for the right magazines for you and your story.

Archived