The Devil's elbow?

aelfheah

Has anyone got any information, or pictures, of this landmark along the Woodhead to Glossop? Google shows nothing.

It used to be a very difficult hairpin bend to negotiate, but has apparently been 'straightened out' now and is possibly a layby? Is that right?

Thanks

The only Devils Elbow I know of is on the Hathersage road betwen Sheephill Road and Fox House. It was a bad bend and there were many bad accidents but was straightened out and the "old road" became a lay-bye and storage site for road making materials.

Not too sure if it was Woodhead, or the Snake, but there was a series of nasty bends, which could have qualified for the name. At the bottom of these curves, in the ravine, was the rusty remains of an old car. As a youngster on coach trips to Belle Vue, or Blackpool, all the kids used to look out of the left hand side windows to catch a glimpse, our sense of being morbid I suppose.

QUOTE=aelfheah;7202043]Has anyone got any information, or pictures, of this landmark along the Woodhead to Glossop? Google shows nothing.

It used to be a very difficult hairpin bend to negotiate, but has apparently been 'straightened out' now and is possibly a layby? Is that right?

Thanks

• 3 months later...
The only Devils Elbow I know of is on the Hathersage road betwen Sheephill Road and Fox House. It was a bad bend and there were many bad accidents but was straightened out and the "old road" became a lay-bye and storage site for road making materials.

I will go along with you on that one Meltman,

link .. picturesheffield

I think is was here, link .. Flash Earth

Perhaps you mean what we used to know as Cutthroat Bridge. This was on the Snake Pass, before Ladybower. A small bridge with a very sharp turn which doubled back - room for only one car at a time. This was straightened-out I think toward the end of the 60's, although it is still a bend.

Not too sure if it was Woodhead, or the Snake, but there was a series of nasty bends, which could have qualified for the name. At the bottom of these curves, in the ravine, was the rusty remains of an old car. As a youngster on coach trips to Belle Vue, or Blackpool, all the kids used to look out of the left hand side windows to catch a glimpse, our sense of being morbid I suppose.

QUOTE=aelfheah;7202043]Has anyone got any information, or pictures, of this landmark along the Woodhead to Glossop? Google shows nothing.

Thanks

belle vue

been as a kid when did it shut

Archived