Stanley Tools

That would have been in the field in Ecclesfield opposite Morrisons used to go to the summer fates there to,.

Think you will find the Stanley Summer events/Sports days were held on their own Sportsfield at the side and rear of the Factory which was the same side of the road as Morrisons - just prior going intoTown.:)

My father-in-law, Bernard Lilley and his friend Alek Naylor both worked at Stanley Tools, Woodside Lane. And to keep an eye on them, my wife Angela, who was Bernards daughter. Anyone remember them? Angelas family and ourselves moved to Cornwall in 1970.

Think you will find the Stanley Summer events/Sports days were held on their own Sportsfield at the side and rear of the Factory which was the same side of the road as Morrisons - just prior going intoTown.:)

Me, my brother and ex-sister in law all worked at Stanleys at Ecclesfield and I have lived in Ecclesfield all my life and I can't remember that

You need to appreciate we are talking circa. 1970(40yrs ago!) and Keith H, eventual FIFA Referee & now boss of Premier Lg. Refs., used to Ref. our Inter-Departmentals on a full-size 11-a-side Footie pitch at the side of the Factory(his relative Mal B. worked at Stanley in the Hammer/Chisel Forge).

• 4 months later...

I worked in office block (computers) around 1973. Margaret Marsh. My future husband worked there John Ellis, I think he was a machine setter. Does anyone remember when there was the payroll robbery. My sister ( Muriel) was working in the payroll department, just over the bridge and was there that day when the security man had acid thrown in his face.

Certainly do remember the 'Great Payroll Robbery' - which from memory occurred on the stairs leading up from under the bridge to Wages Dept.

Fortunately the security guy did not suffer serious injury - but the irony of the incident at the time was that 'allegedly' a Production Manager unsuspectingly held the door open for the Robbers to enter up the stairs !!! Rich.

• 2 weeks later...