How many gears does a car really need?

I suppose the most efficient (and astronomically expensive!) solution would be a car that is constantly changing the gear ratio as the speed changes - if such a thing were physically possible at all, that is. I wouldn't know, but I'm pretty sure that even if it is possible it would be hopelessly impractical on cost grounds.

I've heard of cars with seven forward gears, but never before of one with 8.

That would be a cvt or constantly variable transmission, they exist but aren't that popular for some reason.

Our 1.4 litre engined Vauxhall Meriva can reach over 50mph in second gear, if ever we were daft enough to want to do it. I don't suppose it has to be a monstrously powerful engine to reach 70mph in second.

I don't think it's that unusual for any car with sports pretentions.

What car has 8 forward gears?

My current car has 6, purely for efficiency reasons as it can break the motorway speed limit in 2nd.

I thought the idea was to alter the ratio of the other gears rather than give greater speed in the top gear.

A close-ratio type of transmission is designed to allow an engine to remain in a relatively narrow operating speed. Alternately, a wide-ratio transmission requires the engine to operate over a greater speed range, but requires less shifting and allows a wider range of output speeds. Close-ratio transmissions are generally offered in sports cars, in which the engine is tuned for maximum power in a narrow range of operating speeds and the driver can be expected to enjoy shifting often to keep the engine in its power band.

I thought the idea was to alter the ratio of the other gears rather than give greater speed in the top gear.

I suspect both unless you actually have a race box fitted. Most road cars, even sporty ones can expect to be driven for some distance at motorway speeds and be expected to achieve some measure of economy.

I can't imagine that I'd get above 4th on a track very often. Something which I do intend to try so I'll let you know when I can verify that.

I suspect both unless you actually have a race box fitted. Most road cars, even sporty ones can expect to be driven for some distance at motorway speeds and be expected to achieve some measure of economy.

I can't imagine that I'd get above 4th on a track very often. Something which I do intend to try so I'll let you know when I can verify that.

Track day? Have you got rid of the hairdressers car?

Archived