Kindle/i pad etc VS books

Can't be doing with gadgetry in the bath, and you can't flick through a kindle when your on the throne :D

Plus, you don't have the advantage, when on the throne and short of paper, of tearing out the blank pages for emergency use.

i got my kindle wifi version not the 3g one in october last year, it is the best money i have ever spent on myself I LOVE IT, i have read books that i would never have bought in paper form. since having my kindle i haven't read 1 dtb (dead tree book) and i haven't missed them either.

I was a staunch supporter of my local library .. went every week and would/will read at least two books a week.

I treated myself to an I Pod Touch last November .. and since returning my last batch of library books, haven't been back to the library since!

I LOVE my I Pod .. it sits in my hand .. all lit up, so I can read when Im' awake in pain in the night instead of lying there stressed, trying not to wake my partner up.

I can pop it in my handbang and visit a coffee shop after a Doctor visit and sit and read without a book bulking up my bag.

I LOVE IT .. LOVE IT LOVE IT ..

I've got a Kindle 3 and a Sony PRS-650 and both are fine eBook readers (I work with eBooks as part of my job so I needed both in order to test PDF to ePUB conversions that are done in China).

The Sony has a smart aluminum body, touch screen and is slightly more compact than the Kindle. However it has no connectivity at all, so you need to add books via your computer.

The Kindle has the better screen, more choice of fonts for viewing, wi-fi and 3G (free as well) and a much better book store in the form of Amazon. You can download books from Amazon wirelessly at no cost (not just paid for ones either, there are a lot of free "classic" titles available).

Text is much easier on the eye than something like an iPad, although it is 16 shades of gray only at the moment. However, if you're reading novels etc., what use is colour anyway?

If you're a heavy reader I'd recommend the Kindle 3. It's cheaper than the Sony, has a better screen and its eInk text won't strain your eyes after hours of reading, unlike the iPad.

The Kindle does not support the common ePUB format but you can use the open source program Calibre to convert between formats.

Got to say .. after hours of reading, the I Pod doesnt make my eyes ache or anything .. and it's absolutely ideal to snuggle under the covers with .. fits neatly in my hand.

My partner wants to get me a kindle for my birthday as I am due to have an op where I have a good 3 months unable to do anything ... I have had to keep telling him I DO NOT WANT ONE .. the i pod (for me) is far better ...

For me at the moment, it's all to do with cost. I got 11 books for Christmas, 8 in hardback, and every single one was more expensive to buy on the Kindle than in 'hardcopy'.

It's also all well and good to say there are thousands of free books for the kindle, but there are millions of books in libraries, coffee shops, workplaces etc.

Maybe when the kindle comes with a colour screen and magazines can be downloaded, I may change my mind. I like my bookshelves, I hate my piles of magazines.

Blimey my I Pod really came into it's own last night .. I was awake most of the night with pain and instead of trying to get up and banging around all over the place as I have to crawl, I just lay there and read my book on my I Pod without disturbing him ..

I went on holiday last week, I travelled light just taking a rucksack, but I took 100 books with me. I chose to read No Country For Old Men in the museum cafe and a rather thick Evolution textbook in the hotel. I told my classics loving girlfriend about Pride & Prejudice & Zombies and as luck had it I'd brought it with me. Despite all the travelling I never lost my bookmark in any of the books and none of them got dog eared or damp.

I have a Kindle.

And the next morning you woke up and discovered that your licence to read 1984 had been revoked and there was no bog paper.

Archived