Kindle/i pad etc VS books

For carrying a large number of books and documents around, e-paper display tablets are an obvious choice.

But I've lost count of the number of times I've given someone a book, left a book on the train, scribbled a telephone number on a torn out frontspiece, found an old bus or train ticket hiding in the pages of a long unopened book, found an interesting book on the bus/train/airport etc etc.

Like the phone, the e-paper tablet has the potential to become a convergence target, and it would be nice to do a lot more computing on epaper. But until the epaper improves, that's a non-starter.

Not used one, but supposedly they've been out since about 2007 if I remember correctly. Also heard today on a business report that amazon shares in the UK are up because of it, they've sold somewhere between 1 and 4 million worldwide.Never personally tried one though. I prefer books, I just know where to flip them open and can numerous ones side by side, all open. I can also leave them open in crazy places so when I pass them I can revise or think!

But how many of them are being used? Would be interesting to know how many are collecting dust in bottom draws along with all the other gadgets that we seem to need these days.

For me at the moment, it's all to do with cost. I got 11 books for Christmas, 8 in hardback, and every single one was more expensive to buy on the Kindle than in 'hardcopy'.

It's also all well and good to say there are thousands of free books for the kindle, but there are millions of books in libraries, coffee shops, workplaces etc.

Maybe when the kindle comes with a colour screen and magazines can be downloaded, I may change my mind. I like my bookshelves, I hate my piles of magazines.

My bold

There are, indeed - but that's not quite as convenient as having a few thousand on your e-book reader!

Good news for ebook buyers:

The Office of Fair Trading has confirmed it has opened an investigation into ebook pricing following complaints. The competition regulator said it is investigating "arrangements between certain publishers and retailers for the sale of ebooks".

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/02/02/ebooks_investigated/

I found one of the comments interesting - 0% VAT on books, yet 20% VAT on ebooks!

Archived