Putting money into your pension and ISA is immoral and anti-social

Don't you know the difference between tax avoidance and tax evasion. Silly you.

I do.

I also know the difference between right and wrong.

And the difference between moral and imorral.

If pushed, I could probably calculate the difference between Phillip Green's income tax bill and that of his cleaner.

I couldn't justify the latter though.

The outcomes are quite clearly different.

In tax EVASION the exchequer does not receive taxes to which it is entitled by law.

In tax AVOIDANCE the exchequer does not receive free money from people who don't care what they do with their money.

Tax EVASION is stealing from the people.

Tax AVOIDANCE is not throwing your money on the ground for people to pick up.

The outcomes are quite clearly different.

In tax EVASION the exchequer does not receive taxes to which it is entitled by law.

In tax AVOIDANCE the exchequer does not receive free money from people who don't care what they do with their money.

Tax EVASION is stealing from the people.

Tax AVOIDANCE is not throwing your money on the ground for people to pick up.

Sometimes tax avoidance is a consequence of poor law making and low morality.

The line between evasion and avoidance can be a little blurry.

It's funny how when people who earn more than you do it - they are to be reviled for exploiting the poor.

Yet when people who earn less than you do it that's acceptable adn called sticking it to the man...

Double standards much....?

Are you sure about that? Avoidance is minimising the tax you pay by legal means, like using your correct allowances and putting money into an ISA.

Evasion is minimising the tax you pay by illegal means, like taking cash payments for work done and not declaring them, or buying knock-off cigarettes.

There is no difference unless you can prove the outcome of the two practices are different. If not you are a troll.:)

So benefit fraud is equivalent to saving in an ISA, in your mind.

I'm not a troll, but I do wonder if your missing a moral compass.

Nobody else thinks I'm trolling by the way, so maybe you've got that one wrong... :suspect:

Except if you do it presumably by putting money in your ISA or pension, then it's all okay and morally the right thing to do...

Sort of my point right from the start.

He'll be claiming next that not going for a pint deprives the exchequer of duty and VAT and is therefore the same as billion £ tax avoidance.

You're not au fait with the concept of irony are you?

Anyone who was sensible forty years ago has, in hindsight, made the wrong decision.

Sadly true.

There is no difference unless you can prove the outcome of the two practices are different.

Not paying tax that you don't have to or not paying tax that you do have to. Hmmm... seem to be polar opposites to me.

The outcome of deliberately running someone down in a car and accidentally doing so may be the same, so would you expect to be sentenced for murder if you were guilty of the latter?

Or am I just trolling? :P

Archived