Mubarak is not a dictator

prison camps in the sense of prisoners of war etc differ from concentration camp in their purpose.

The term 'concentration camp' is now widely understood as being the generic term for a death camp, i.e. a place where the captives are systematically murdered on an industrial scale, such as at Auschwitz or Treblinka. However, when the Nazis set up camps in the early years of their rule, they were quite literally 'concentration camps', i.e. places were political prisoners and other 'undesirables' (as defined by the regime) were concentrated. Some were still concentration camps rather than death camps per se even at the end of the war. Belsen, for example, was never a 'death camp' in the sense defined above, even though of course many people died in it at the end of the war due to disease and malnutrition (as of course was true of the Boers in British 'concentration camps' during the Boer war).

The term 'concentration camp' is now widely understood as being the generic term for a death camp, i.e. a place where the captives were systematically murdered on an industrial scale, such as at Auschwitz or Treblinka. However, when the Nazis set up camps in the early years of their rule, they were quite literally 'concentration camps', i.e. places were political prisoners and other 'undesirables' (as defined by the regime) were concentrated. Some were still concentration caps rather than death camps per se even at the end of the war. Belsen, for example, was never a 'death camp' in the sense defined above, even though of course many people died in it at the end of the war due to disease and malnutrition (as of course was true of the Boers in British 'concentration camps' during the Boer war).

that is the sense i used the word in, not as a death camp by design. in hindsight, with the 'emotion' it seems to have brought up(with the obvious Nazi 'connotations') i should maybe not have brought it up.

yes. they're different. it's in the names.

Which perhaps shows how much you know about them.

I grew up near a concentration camp. I have visited two extermination camps.

Conditions in the concentration camps were extremely harsh and people did die - but they died because of the harsh treatment, lack of shelter, overwork, untreated disease and - towards the end - starvation.

In extermination camps people die because that is the purpose of the camp.

Which perhaps shows how much you know about them.

I grew up near a concentration camp. I have visited two extermination camps.

Conditions in the concentration camps were extremely harsh and people did die - but they died because of the harsh treatment, lack of shelter, overwork, untreated disease and - towards the end - starvation.

In extermination camps people die because that is the purpose of the camp.

that's what i said, in the name. see above post when i agree to what LC says. people in concentration camps die as a result of the living conditions. those in extermination camps die by design. an exterminations camp is to 'exterminate' people. a concentration camp to 'concentrate' them in one place for whatever reason. like i said, it's in the name.

what are you blithering on about ? care to clarify ?

I'm laughing at your lame argument!

I highlighted the word "them", referring to your post...

the thing that democracies did invent (21st century) is lock them up for years for no crime.:thumbsup:

Funny that you then needed this pointing out to you! :loopy:

I'm laughing at your lame argument!

I highlighted the word "them", referring to your post...

Funny that you then needed this pointing out to you! :loopy:

lame argument ?

how about a novel idea of them being bought to court for trial or am i being to revolutionary for you :hihi:

Archived