Are the media partly responsible for riots in this country?

Then explain it to me. How exactly are government cuts directly responsible for the way the media reports things?

The Media picks on whatever is 'flavour of the month'. Of late it is the credit crunch and the effects of cuts. The government has played into the media's hands by reacting savagely so the media makes full capital out of it.

Its all about selling TV and newspapers, thats what the media does.

The Media picks on whatever is 'flavour of the month'. Of late it is the credit crunch and the effects of cuts. The government has played into the media's hands by reacting savagely so the media makes full capital out of it.

So the government cuts are not directly responsible for the way the media reports things?

There was a pretty impressive demonstration in London today by students up and down the country. However, it got the briefest of mentions on the news bulletins I watched today. The news was all about the riots/protest in Egypt. Fair enough, of course it warrants more time of the broadcast, but to spend about 95 per cent of the news on it, and then giving the London demo just a fleeting mention, at the end of the bulletin, almost as if it's not really worth mentionning, is wrong, in my opinion.

If the protest had turned violent in London today, we all know it would be the main thing on our screens, and what's happening in Egypt would get less coverage than in London.

Is this not sending the message to protestors that if you don't riot, you don't get heard?

Are our news providers in this country, conspiring with the government, and against the individual, in playing down the large number of peaceful protests happening up and down the country, but yet when protestors misbehave, they're in the media spotlight for months? The other week we had loads of time given to the student who was sentenced for throwing the fire extinguisher but I would also liked to have heard how the lad is doing who was hit on the head by a police officer, and then had a stroke, but there's no mention of that.

Don't worry the looming mass public redundancies will spice things up a bit.

Time to release this again, the soundtrack to the disturbances in the summer of 1981:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WhhSBgd3KI

So the government cuts aren't responsible are they?

Two different questions: One, why are there demonstrations? Two, why are those demonstrations (or some of them anyway) turning into riots?

Media coverage might well have something to do with the second question. If they reported on peaceful demos and refused to report on violent ones, people might stop having violent demos since it would not get their point made. However, since the press is free to report on whatever it chooses, that's not likely to happen; violence and rioting is a much juicier story than some students sitting in a park somewhere doing nothing very much.

Not available outside the UK.

I wonder why. Perhaps nobody outside the UK is interested?

Well it was No 1 for 3 weeks back then when you had to sell 200,000 - 300,000 or so copies a week to stay in the top spot!

Anyway for somebody outside the UK and has no Sheffield connections, you seem to spend enough time on here bombarding us with Tory propaganda!:hihi:

There was a pretty impressive demonstration in London today by students up and down the country. However, it got the briefest of mentions on the news bulletins I watched today. The news was all about the riots/protest in Egypt. Fair enough, of course it warrants more time of the broadcast, but to spend about 95 per cent of the news on it, and then giving the London demo just a fleeting mention, at the end of the bulletin, almost as if it's not really worth mentionning, is wrong, in my opinion.

If the protest had turned violent in London today, we all know it would be the main thing on our screens, and what's happening in Egypt would get less coverage than in London.

Is this not sending the message to protestors that if you don't riot, you don't get heard?

Are our news providers in this country, conspiring with the government, and against the individual, in playing down the large number of peaceful protests happening up and down the country, but yet when protestors misbehave, they're in the media spotlight for months? The other week we had loads of time given to the student who was sentenced for throwing the fire extinguisher but I would also liked to have heard how the lad is doing who was hit on the head by a police officer, and then had a stroke, but there's no mention of that.

Protesting shouldn't be about getting air time on TV. If that's when they're interested in, they should audition for Britain's Got Talent or X Factor.

Archived