Need Help with my Rover 200 1998!!

good evening i need 2 things if anyone can help me

1 Can somone tell me how a coder workes on a rover 200 1998 so if you take the battery out how do you recode it ect

2 I have a problem my central locking does not work the fob works but it does not unlock/lock the car (Rover 200 1998),

ive looked at the fuse in the bonet thats ok the battery is ok in the fob as the lights flash when its pressed,

Is there a central fuse line that could be effected at all any inputs from rover 200 owners or ex owners or machanics would be apresheated also any links to a site with the wiring diagram or anything,

i know i can get a hens manual but ill only get that at a last resort as there is no point in getting a henz manual just for 2 things,

Thanks for all the intrests

The car does not lose the 'code' if you take the battery off. It sounds like it could be a fuse. Check the fuse board that's inside the cabin (under the steering wheel).

Another good place to check and get advice is MG Rover forum. Just google it, it's usually the first result from the search.

If the battery has been removed you will have to re-synch the key fob.

1.Lock the car with the key.

2.Wait 30 seconds.

3.Unlock the car with the key.

4.Point the key fob at the car and press the lock button 4 times (slowly).

If all is well the locking system will re-set and work as normal.

There are a few different radios fitted to these models but whichever one you have you need to know the 4 digit code.It would be wrong of me advise you as I really cannot remember the coding sequence and they can "Lock Out",Hopefully someone else with a better memory will set you right.

Hope this helps.

You say the fob is working. How do you know this? Does the immobiliser switch off and on when you press it? Remember the immobiliser comes on automatically when you leave the vehicle. Can you switch it off with the fob?

I ask all this because I had a similar problem with mine. I thought it was totally wrecked, but found that if I opened the fob, carefully removed the printed circuit board with battery still in situ, then, handling it with tissue or somesuch, I could press the uncovered buttons and it worked okay.

The problem was that the printed circuit board was flexing within the fob and needed packing with screwed-up kitchen roll.

You might like to check that the battery holder is still connected to the board at all 3 points. Mine needed a bit of solder in the connection farthest from the keyring end (12 o'clock)

Hope this is all that is needed in your case.

thanks for that there is 2 issues here one is that ill need to remove the battery to fit a starter motor soon as and ill need to know how to recode the fob thats point one

point 2 when i push the key fob know when i push lock the indercaters flash 3 times for lock and 1 time for open or other way around,

but basics is that when i do that the central locking does not open the doors and also if you unlock it from the drivers side it turns the alarm off but it does not do the central locking,

so thats what makes me think its a central fuse line and not the fuse under bonet as ive tried that,

i know somone on here said check near the stearing collom so if somone says that it wont be there then ill not look but it will be pointless me looking any ways as ill not know if it belongs to the central locking or not!!! i hope this exsplining helps for somone to help!!

other than that it all looks like ill need to invest in a henz manual.

thanks the advice

You say the fob is working. How do you know this? Does the immobiliser switch off and on when you press it? Remember the immobiliser comes on automatically when you leave the vehicle. Can you switch it off with the fob?

I ask all this because I had a similar problem with mine. I thought it was totally wrecked, but found that if I opened the fob, carefully removed the printed circuit board with battery still in situ, then, handling it with tissue or somesuch, I could press the uncovered buttons and it worked okay.

The problem was that the printed circuit board was flexing within the fob and needed packing with screwed-up kitchen roll.

You might like to check that the battery holder is still connected to the board at all 3 points. Mine needed a bit of solder in the connection farthest from the keyring end (12 o'clock)

Hope this is all that is needed in your case.

• 2 weeks later...
If the battery has been removed you will have to re-synch the key fob.

1.Lock the car with the key.

2.Wait 30 seconds.

3.Unlock the car with the key.

4.Point the key fob at the car and press the lock button 4 times (slowly).

If all is well the locking system will re-set and work as normal.

There are a few different radios fitted to these models but whichever one you have you need to know the 4 digit code.It would be wrong of me advise you as I really cannot remember the coding sequence and they can "Lock Out",Hopefully someone else with a better memory will set you right.

Hope this helps.

Try that.

I had to do it on my old 1994 rover 214 (years ago) when the fob lost sync with the car.

edited: Just realised it's an old post, hope you got into your car by now. It does sound like it might be a fuse if the lights flash, but central locking doesn't work.

Archived