Need Help with my Rover 200 1998!!

get lost its a brilliant car better than any bull rear end stuff tats on the road know a days plus why would i spend loads of money on a new car when a oldish car does the same job kniow thats waisting money getting a new car plus im british and i want a british car so balls to you

Wasting good money on a piece of junk, Betthr f scraping it

When I had an S reg ( 98 ) Rover 200 I had to resync the key by putting it in the driver's door lock and turning it to the left and right a certain number of times corresponding to the car's code - a bit like cracking a safe.

The code should be on a plastic card in your driver's wallet.

If you code is something like 2144 you put the key in, turn it to the left then back to the middle, then back to the left. That would be the code for "2. Then right it to the right once to give you the "1" then to the left four times for the "4" and same again to the right for the last "4".

Its been about 8 years since I did this though, get the information from your manual.

Danny - you're an ignorant idiot.

get lost its a brilliant car better than any bull rear end stuff tats on the road know a days plus why would i spend loads of money on a new car when a oldish car does the same job kniow thats waisting money getting a new car plus im british and i want a british car so balls to you

British car:hihi: shows how much you know, the car was a join design with honda. But the Rover was very badly built by British people and head gasket goes every few years.Rover has been sold to the Chinese, Ford is own by american, Vauxhall is GM, If you really want to buy British it only helps if you buy new, not a 10 year old + old banger. if you really really want to buy british built car the only one i can think of is Noble,

Silly question, but does it really matter if the central locking does not work? Can you still open the rear doors (if its 5 door)?

If its locking and the alarm is working and the key fob still switches the engine immobiliser off, I would probably leave it, just use the key to lock the doors.

I had a Rover where the key fob de-synched from the immobiliser after changing the battery. The car would start for a second, then cut out because it did not recognise the key fob. Normally its a case of turning the key in the driver's door like alchresearch desribed above. Unfortunately we found out this car did not have a lock mechanism in the driver's door. Fortunately we had a spare key and fob, but when the battery ran out in that one, we would have been stuck, but I didn't have the car that long.

ill try them points yer it can work with out the fob but i like things to work call it OCD if you want,

my car has been well looked after my car is nothing like the rovers out there its had 2 owners first owner was a rover macanic then it was owned by a gentlemen for a few weeks as a run about so it has a full service history and well looked after,

as for badly built cars you get that with many cars 1 - 10 cars work well with no problems ie like mine.

British car:hihi: shows how much you know, the car was a join design with honda. But the Rover was very badly built by British people and head gasket goes every few years.Rover has been sold to the Chinese, Ford is own by american, Vauxhall is GM, If you really want to buy British it only helps if you buy new, not a 10 year old + old banger. if you really really want to buy british built car the only one i can think of is Noble,

The 200 series wasnt really a joint venture with Honda, the 400 was, and is very similar / identical to the honda civic of the time. Head gaskets do not "go" every couple of years, the majority of K-series engines run for a good while and have been fitted in many cars over the years not just the rover, the lotus elise for example. If the head gasket does go, generally its down to poor maintainance from the owners, not checking coolant levels etc.

Archived