Wondering why we cant be like these countries

You're the one that appears to be "uneducated" (no capital letter to start sentences, "a" when you should have used "a", absent apostrophes).

Why are you still here then?:D

I get my rent pay for, beer money each week on time, where else in the world would i get this for doing nothing:)

I've been to Canada, New Zealand, Finland, Iceland and Switzerland.

NZ is very varied, much of it is like 1950's rural England, but then you get cities like Auckland with all the inherent problems associated with cities. The North Island is volcanic and spectacular, the South Island rainy and spectacular.

I only saw the wilderness of Finland, went dog sledding for a week in Winter, minus 28 degrees and 4 hours of daylight.

Switzerland was just a stop off interailing when I was a student.

I had a fantastic time in Canada a couple of years ago. Did a tour of the Rockies and Vancouver. It's just such a vast wilderness, spectacular and largely unspoilt with a laid back attitude.

The most recent was Iceland for 2 week tour. Again I was taken by unspoilt wilderness and the quirkyness of the place. European but out on a limb, a mixture of familiar things with the downright bizarre. Great food, nice people, expensive beer.

Hard to say where I preferred, I'm edging towards Iceland though.

Isnt it darK all day through the winter there?Dont think I could cope without any natural light.

The UK sees itself as a major player in world politics, hence we will never have a peaceful, isolated existence, happily getting on with our own affairs.

I've been to 5 of those 10 countries in the link, very nice but nowhere is perfect and there are down sides to all places.

I'm not sure there is anything such as 'our own affairs' without engaging with the rest of the world.

What was the weather like? What time of year were you there?

I've been in Labrador in summer, with hot sunshine, a highest temperature of 104'F and Blackfly which will drive you mad (quite literally) in 45 minutes.

In winter, I've seen temperatures of -102'F. It's a good idea not to go outside when it gets that cold - even the wolverine fur on your parka will freeze. At -30, (C/F) the inside of your nose freezes as you breathe in and if you spit, it crackles in the air and it's frozen before it hits the ground.

At -60'F, exposed skin will freeze in 60 seconds. If you need to pee, don't hang around.;)

Hard to say where I preferred, I'm edging towards Iceland though.

Iceland (and Greenland) were mediaeval con-tricks.

Greenland (which sounds appealing) is anything but! Filthy weather, bleak barren landscape.

Iceland (sounds forbidding) has a comparatively mild climate and reasonable weather.

Pity about the lack of dayllight in winter. - I have enough problems with lack of daylight in the UK, let alone that far North.

I've been in Labrador in summer, with hot sunshine, a highest temperature of 104'F and Blackfly which will drive you mad (quite literally) in 45 minutes.

In winter, I've seen temperatures of -102'F. It's a good idea not to go outside when it gets that cold - even the wolverine fur on your parka will freeze. At -30, (C/F) the inside of your nose freezes as you breathe in and if you spit, it crackles in the air and it's frozen before it hits the ground.

At -60'F, exposed skin will freeze in 60 seconds. If you need to pee, don't hang around.;)

OMG, sounds absolutely fabulous. Just my kind of thing.:roll:

Iceland (and Greenland) were mediaeval con-tricks.

Greenland (which sounds appealing) is anything but! Filthy weather, bleak barren landscape.

Iceland (sounds forbidding) has a comparatively mild climate and reasonable weather.

Pity about the lack of dayllight in winter. - I have enough problems with lack of daylight in the UK, let alone that far North.

me too . I am counting the 15 minutes that it gets lighter every week here in the UK. Every Sunday at about 4.45pm, I think well next Sunday it will be going dark at 5pm.Getting better every day.

Archived