Tipping in restaurants

But if its good service, do they get paid a fair wage for what they provide?

In a good restaurant the waiter/waitress is essentially making up a large part of your experience.

Well by law they get paid at least minimum wage.

There is also a problem nowadays with so many bills being paid by card. If you add 10% or whatever to your card payment it is unlikely that the staff will see it. I prefer to slip a couple of pounds to a helpfull waitress although I don't know how much of that would get to the folk in the kitchen that actually cooked the meal.

I'm also dubious about wine waiters. Add 10% to a £30 bottle of wine and you are paying £3 just to have an overpriced cork pulled. There is more effort required for someone in a pub to pull a pint. So should we be tipping them?

There is also a problem nowadays with so many bills being paid by card. If you add 10% or whatever to your card payment it is unlikely that the staff will see it. I prefer to slip a couple of pounds to a helpfull waitress although I don't know how much of that would get to the folk in the kitchen that actually cooked the meal.

I'm also dubious about wine waiters. Add 10% to a £30 bottle of wine and you are paying £3 just to have an overpriced cork pulled. There is more effort required for someone in a pub to pull a pint. So should we be tipping them?

If you dont agree with it, go to restaurant who dont put service charge on. vote with your feet and not mouth

Minimum wage isn't much for the job.

The original question was asked because I used to manage a restaurant and was often appalled by the way customers treat waiters and waitresses. I just wondered how many people thought of tipping for good service and how many refused because "they get paid anyway".

It is often the case that tips will be shared between waitresses, bar and kitchen staff. Or in some cases waitresses keep their own tips and pay out a percentage which then gets shared between the other staff.

customers don't even tip in Mcdonalds restaruants in the United States, or if they do it is very unusual and I think the management actually forbids staff from accepting tips . They are in fact one of the very few kind of restos there where this is true.

unlike in many other restaruants, Mcdonald's staff in the United States do receive miminmum wage, same goes for nearly all other 'chain' type restos, and also places like Starbucks, there. The most any of them have is some sort of beg jar. Tipping is just not expected in these sorts of places and might in fact eve3n be forbidden - even in the tipping capital of the world, the USA..

If you dont agree with it, go to restaurant who dont put service charge on. vote with your feet and not mouth

Nice attitude.

I'll go to whichever restaurant I like. If you read my post I said restaurants bring the machine for accepting card payments and it is part of the standard software that it invites you to add a service payment whether it is a standard charge or not.

I pay whatever I feel service is worth, so if you were waiting on you would probably get zip.