Tipping in restaurants

Well by law they get paid at least minimum wage.

There is also a problem nowadays with so many bills being paid by card. If you add 10% or whatever to your card payment it is unlikely that the staff will see it. I prefer to slip a couple of pounds to a helpfull waitress although I don't know how much of that would get to the folk in the kitchen that actually cooked the meal.

I'm also dubious about wine waiters. Add 10% to a £30 bottle of wine and you are paying £3 just to have an overpriced cork pulled. There is more effort required for someone in a pub to pull a pint. So should we be tipping them?

I seem to recall Gordon Ramsey got into bother for trying to circumvent National Minimum Wage regulations by using tips to top wages up to NMW level rather than the tips going on top of the NMW.

I seem to recall Gordon Ramsey got into bother for trying to circumvent National Minimum Wage regulations by using tips to top wages up to NMW level rather than the tips going on top of the NMW.

But if you were a tax man you would know that the law forbids this practice these days.

Nice attitude.

I'll go to whichever restaurant I like. If you read my post I said restaurants bring the machine for accepting card payments and it is part of the standard software that it invites you to add a service payment whether it is a standard charge or not.

I pay whatever I feel service is worth, so if you were waiting on you would probably get zip.

I think this is completely fair. I always felt a lot of the waitresses deserved a lot more appreciation as they were all absolutely excellent at their jobs, always polite and went above and beyond for the customer. I know I tip this sort of service but sadly a lot of people don't.

I think this is completely fair. I always felt a lot of the waitresses deserved a lot more appreciation as they were all absolutely excellent at their jobs, always polite and went above and beyond for the customer. I know I tip this sort of service but sadly a lot of people don't.

The last time I dinned out was mid-week. I went to the Grouse at Longshaw. Ordered 2 main courses at the bar whilst buying drinks. Food arrived and was first class. Waiter brought another round of drinks to table and also brought extra condiments on request. A bit later someone came around asking if all was OK, then came back and asked if we wanted desert.

Total bill including drinks was around £28. I chucked 3 pound coins into the waiters hand after paying the bill.

It seemed about right and staff were appreciative.

Until the other day I used to tip 20% but I got told off for that so now it's 10%. :)

10% for Takeaway deliveries as well.

If you tip 20% and go to the same restaurants, the waitresses probably recognise you and fight over who gets to serve you :hihi:

We usually tip 10-20%, but only if the service was good, friendly and efficient. I also don't like the idea of a 'shared' tip - if the waiter/waitress serving us is good, we want him/her to get the tip. I think the reason a lot of service is relatively shabby is because of the shared tips. If you know you'll get tips anyway for someone else doing a good job, then why bother? Or that is the impression I sometimes get anyway.