Tipping in restaurants

Waiting tables is an unskilled job that requires very little training. Minimum wage is about right. I don't see why there's this bizarre tradition that waiters and waitresses get given extra cash for just doing their jobs properly, but not for other service jobs also on minimum wage, eg. checkout assistants. Restaurants charge a huge premium on food and drink, some of which goes towards overheads like staff. I don't pay twice by tipping.

Totally agree with this,most food outlets are a rip off anyway, so why pay more? The same applies to tipping Taxi Drivers.

Of course tipping is optional. But if I choose to tip, I want it to go to the staff, not towards company profits.

How would you feel if you were on minimum wage, did a good job, were rewarded by a customer, and then the company took it from you? In the case of Las Iguanas they take it from you whether you received it or not. Staff are charged 3% of the sales they make as this is what they are judged to have received in tips.

Of course tipping is optional. But if I choose to tip, I want it to go to the staff, not towards company profits.

How would you feel if you were on minimum wage, did a good job, were rewarded by a customer, and then the company took it from you? In the case of Las Iguanas they take it from you whether you received it or not. Staff are charged 3% of the sales they make as this is what they are judged to have received in tips.

Obviously it is not acceptable, but it would be better still, for all concerned, if this archaic tradition just ceased to exist.

Always tip. Between 5 and 15% depending on the service and how good the meal is.

The only time i wouldnt tip is because of poor or rude service.

---------- Post added 31-08-2015 at 15:13 ----------

Not relevant to me. Good service should be as default. It's called "doing your job". Bad service would be punished by choosing a different restaurant in future.

Tip for good or exceptional service and food.

Not tipping in any circumstances is called being tight. Its not customary not to tip.

---------- Post added 31-08-2015 at 15:17 ----------

Waiting tables is an unskilled job that requires very little training. Minimum wage is about right. I don't see why there's this bizarre tradition that waiters and waitresses get given extra cash for just doing their jobs properly, but not for other service jobs also on minimum wage, eg. checkout assistants. Restaurants charge a huge premium on food and drink, some of which goes towards overheads like staff. I don't pay twice by tipping.

its called building relationships and good will. for instance I can go in my favourite restaurants and I know they will look after me or my party.

Whereas they are probably nice enough to your face, but dont give you special treatment. Because im getting it.

Always tip. Between 5 and 15% depending on the service and how good the meal is.

The only time i wouldnt tip is because of poor or rude service.

---------- Post added 31-08-2015 at 15:13 ----------

Tip for good or exceptional service and food.

Not tipping in any circumstances is called being tight. Its not customary not to tip.

---------- Post added 31-08-2015 at 15:17 ----------

its called building relationships and good will. for instance I can go in my favourite restaurants and I know they will look after me or my party.

Whereas they are probably nice enough to your face, but dont give you special treatment. Because im getting it.

So why don't you tip the cashier at your local shop?

And what exactly is exceptional service? Bringing plates from a kitchen can really only be done politely or rudely. Unless they simultaneously do somersaults while carrying the plates.

So why don't you tip the cashier at your local shop?

And what exactly is exceptional service? Bringing plates from a kitchen can really only be done politely or rudely. Unless they simultaneously do somersaults while carrying the plates.

see point above...I do it for two reasons. One to continue to receive good service. Two because people dont earn much in restaurants and if they are good, they deserve it...

why dont cashiers get tips? Its not customary.

I sometimes give a taxi driver a tip. Nearly always waiters...

I Agree. I have never been able to understand the tipping regime for

waiter service. What about the kitchen staff, cleaners, washer uppers, etc

It is estimated that about 1.2 million people in the Uk are on the minimum

How many of these receive tips to back up their wages?

I Agree. I have never been able to understand the tipping regime for

waiter service. What about the kitchen staff, cleaners, washer uppers, etc

It is estimated that about 1.2 million people in the Uk are on the minimum

How many of these receive tips to back up their wages?

Quite often tips are shared equally amongst all staff.

Quite often tips are shared equally amongst all staff.

That maybe so, if there is a tip box/plate by the till.But not

very often, if the tip is given personally to a waiter. Unless things have

changed in recent years.

I think in this day and age. it is degrading for anyone to have to rely on

the possibility of getting a tip to make a decent living.