Tipping in restaurants

That maybe so, if there is a tip box/plate by the till.But not

very often, if the tip is given personally to a waiter. Unless things have

changed in recent years.

I think in this day and age. it is degrading for anyone to have to rely on

the possibility of getting a tip to make a decent living.

It's all put in a pot and divided..not always and sometimes own tips are kept.

It may be degrading but that's not the waiters fault is it?

see point above...I do it for two reasons. One to continue to receive good service. Two because people dont earn much in restaurants and if they are good, they deserve it...

why dont cashiers get tips? Its not customary.

I sometimes give a taxi driver a tip. Nearly always waiters...

Exactly, you only do it because it's customary. Presumably you still want to receive good service from a cashier you use regularly, who is also on minimum wage. Yet you don't tip them because it isn't customary. So it's not really about service, or pay. It's about sticking to an archaic, outdated tradition, probably so you don't feel bad yourself.

Exactly, you only do it because it's customary. Presumably you still want to receive good service from a cashier you use regularly, who is also on minimum wage. Yet you don't tip them because it isn't customary. So it's not really about service, or pay. It's about sticking to an archaic, outdated tradition, probably so you don't feel bad yourself.

No I do it for other reasons. Several here...On this thread

I don't tip cashiers because it's not customary or expected. But if it was I would tip them too.

It's exactly about service and enjoying that service, there's no truth in it being archaic and out dated. Tipping happens everywhere in every culture.

You're just using that as excuse not to tip.

No I do it for other reasons. Several here...On this thread

I don't tip cashiers because it's not customary or expected. But if it was I would tip them too.

It's exactly about service and enjoying that service, there's no truth in it being archaic and out dated. Tipping happens everywhere in every culture.

You're just using that as excuse not to tip.

You're contradicting yourself again. You say you don't just tip waiters because it's customary, but then you admit you don't tip cashiers because it's not customary. You're just following tradition slavishly.

You're contradicting yourself again. You say you don't just tip waiters because it's customary, but then you admit you don't tip cashiers because it's not customary. You're just following tradition slavishly.

And getting better service

Maybe if i enjoyed the service and enjoyed myself at the shops i would!

But not tipping waiters. Thats just tight.

So you've never had good service in a shop in your whole life? If so, why didn't you tip?

Why is it any tighter to not tip a waiter as opposed to a shop assistant?