Tipping in restaurants

Why only tip waiters? You admitted why before - it's a custom.

Go on WiseOwl, see if you can change a custom ... I wonder what the first assistant will make of it when you try and tip them. Not that I'm saying they don't deserve it, but it takes a lot to change people's expectations of what is normal.

Go on WiseOwl, see if you can change a custom ... I wonder what the first assistant will make of it when you try and tip them. Not that I'm saying they don't deserve it, but it takes a lot to change people's expectations of what is normal.

I'm taking the other angle, and normalising it from the waiter side by not giving a tip.

My parents are Scottish and I live in Yorkshire and I love that observation about the difference between a Scot and a Yorkshireman ... basically a Yorkshireman is just like a Scot except he's had all the generosity beaten out of him ... cracks me up. But my mate from Birmingham would know never dare to suggest such a thing, just as when he takes the mick out of his place of birth, that's his prerogative. I won't go there.

But yeah, long live short arms and deep pockets ...

More tight arses the worse service we will all get

..and a worse economy.

pat yourself on the back...

Why worse service? If everyone didn't tip and all the good waiters started to leave for other jobs (which as it happens, of a similar skill level, would also be minimum wage anyway), then restaurants would just have to pay them more to keep them, rather than expect it to be subsidised in this archaic fashion.

Also, it's better for the economy. I keep more of my own money and will use it more wisely than any waiter. ;)

Also, it's better for the economy. I keep more of my own money and will use it more wisely than any waiter. ;)

Stop it, you wind up merchant (love it) :hihi: you don't also have Scottish ancestors ... ???

---------- Post added 01-09-2015 at 23:29 ----------

More to the point. As anyone took money out of the tip bowl when no ones looking, then put it back in again right in front of the waiter/bar person? Makes you look pretty good!

Oh jeez, funnier and funnier ... I'm imagining somebody with Tyrannosaurus forearms and pockets the size of "The Goodies" pocket-size camera (oh I know there's probably no-one who will get that, you gotta be really old)