Speeding fine has now gone to court/crb check

Think about it. The human body is designed to survive running into a tree or something at around 20mph, as fast as we can run. Once you are in a metal box and travelling ABOVE the thirty mph limit, you are FAR MORE LIKELY to kill or seriously injure someone if you hit them.

If you're going to start haranguing everybody who admits to being caught at 34mph in their car then you'll be on the wrong side of forum rules and therefore unwelcome pretty quickly.

The speed limit on the street in question was never 20mph and it is not even vaguely logical to cut every speed limit to 20mph or even 30mph. Can you imagine trying to commute when the speed limits are dropped to 30mph? It's just not tenable.

The OP admits that they were breaking the law and have been caught for it- we'll leave the criticism there.

When they changed the sped limit on that road, were the signs replaced with signs which showed the new speed limit?

How long does it take to see a sign? Are drivers only supposed to look at signs on certain days?

How long does it take to react to the information on the sign?

If it takes some people 'some days' to react to the information on a road sign, should those people really be driving?

When the speed limits were replaced on the road the only visible difference for most of the length of the road was the absence of 40mph signs and repeaters. There were no 'new speed limit in force' signs for most of the length of the road that I saw, like I see on other roads when a new limit is imposed.

Many years of that road being a 40mph road does not make drivers look for the absence of repeaters on a known road as they would on a road with which they weren't familiar.

A similar situation occurred for me recently on a stretch of Halifax Road in Bradford, which has been a 40mph stretch for years but which has now dropped to 30mph. I spotted the 'new speed limit in force' sign at the point where the speed limit would normally have increased to 40mph but I only spotted it on the way home so I know full well that I missed it going the other way earlier in the day. It's pure luck that I didn't get a ticket for doing 40mph on the way to my destination.

When the speed limits were replaced on the road the only visible difference for most of the length of the road was the absence of 40mph signs and repeaters. There were no 'new speed limit in force' signs for most of the length of the road that I saw, like I see on other roads when a new limit is imposed.

Many years of that road being a 40mph road does not make drivers look for the absence of repeaters on a known road as they would on a road with which they weren't familiar.

A similar situation occurred for me recently on a stretch of Halifax Road in Bradford, which has been a 40mph stretch for years but which has now dropped to 30mph. I spotted the 'new speed limit in force' sign at the point where the speed limit would normally have increased to 40mph but I only spotted it on the way home so I know full well that I missed it going the other way earlier in the day. It's pure luck that I didn't get a ticket for doing 40mph on the way to my destination.

Supposedly the police are meant to allow 3-6 months for the new speed to register and become the norm before they begin enforcing it but that is only a guide and i expect it varies from force to force.

If you're going to start haranguing everybody who admits to being caught at 34mph in their car then you'll be on the wrong side of forum rules and therefore unwelcome pretty quickly.

The speed limit on the street in question was never 20mph and it is not even vaguely logical to cut every speed limit to 20mph or even 30mph. Can you imagine trying to commute when the speed limits are dropped to 30mph? It's just not tenable.

The OP admits that they were breaking the law and have been caught for it- we'll leave the criticism there.

I haven't harangued anyone, I pointed out speed limits exist to save lives, they're not arbitrary, the difference between 30mph and 34mph could be the difference between life or death.

I think it's a misuse of the moderating powers to attack someone for posting basic biological facts.

How do you know the street in question, since the OP didn't mention it?

On 20mph streets the evidence is clear:

Typically within Hull, 20 mph zones have achieved reductions[106] in injury accidents of:

— Total accidents -56 per cent

— Killed & seriously injured accidents -90 per cent

— Accidents involving child casualties -64 per cent

— All pedestrian accidents -54 per cent

— Child pedestrian accidents -74 per cent.

It is estimated that at the end of 1999, 390 injury accidents had been prevented within the 20 mph zones which had been previously installed. 122 of these would have involved injuries to children.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200102/cmselect/cmtlgr/557/557ap80.htm

You're incorrect medusa, and I don't think a moderator should misrepresent other poster's words.

so its a case of not getting the job and signing on the dole because of a stupid mistake. hope it makes tou feel better :suspect:

Plenty of companies will not be bothered about a speeding conviction, it's not the same as a criminal record. Mr Putz, the lorry driver in London who killed someone in the morning and was still over the limit from the night before, had been banned from driving 6 times and still got a job as an HGV driver.

Archived