Strad pub closing for good today (and is now reopened)

ging viking

The Horse & Groom DID sell its being done up and is scheduled to be opened in a week or so. Its going to be a real ale pub with live entertainment on Saturday night also there will be no pool table, no slot machines and no t.vs. They will also be selling John Smiths smooth and Carling Lager. I think its an attempt to bring back older decent people instead of the younger element, not my words by the way.

I thought it was going to be a Premier Stores like the travellers and white horse.

I thought it was going to be a Premier Stores like the travellers and white horse.

No Ive been past today and its had a new paint over outside with what looks like a new Tetleys sign up on the wall.

You can thank the smoking ban for this.

Actually I think you can blame the supermarkets for this, they sell beer /lager/spirits and wine much much cheaper than many pubs.

Apart from wetherspoons pubs like my local sell "plonk" at 10.49 a bottle. I can go to Tesco's /Asda / Morrisons etc and get one which is much much better for £4.99

Smokers just go to the smoking shed/shelter

You could buy one of these places and make a great big house out of it and for cheap as well.

It's not as easy as you think. The biggest obstacle is planning consent and it is VERY difficult to get a consent to turn a pub into a house. If there was a higher value that was so obviously attainable the sellers would have thought of it first. In addition the sellers very often have a contract clause that requires them to remain as a pub or commercial premises.

I agree. Although they're not usually in a popular part of town. That's probably why most of them will either be pulled down and townhouses put up in their place, or refurbed into flats/student accommodation depending on where they are.

I liked the look of the White Rails, which was only £37k but have no idea where Burlington Street is? Maybe you should buy the Stradbroke, if it was at the right price?

Burlington St is just off Oxford St. (Upperthorpe S6), Really close to Pondarosa,

No Ive been past today and its had a new paint over outside with what looks like a new Tetleys sign up on the wall.

Yep, heard it got bought about a month ago, and will be staying as a pub. Its my Mum's local... Not that most of the locals have been fussed about going in for a few years now.

You can thank the smoking ban for this.

No you can't. The clientèle have all died. My granddad used to go in there with some locals and one by one they all died.

The make-up of Stradbroke is now completely different and the pub didn't change to suit.