Drugs are here to stay..Like it or lump it!

Who says illegal dealers would vanish from the face of the earth if, say, cannabis was legalised? If Cannabis was sold legally in shops it would probably be quite pricey like Benson and Hedges are, so dealers would still ply their trade and be cheaper than the shops.

If it was legal for people to grow a small number of plants for their own use people wouldn't need to buy it anyway.

So your saying legalise it so it cuts out the dodgy dealers, yet your also saying dont make it available legally to everyone?
No, what he's saying is that if for example heroin were legal you wouldn't need to obtain it illegally. You could go to your GP or drug distribution clinic or whatever designated place and ask for it. You could them be given the education as to why its a really bad idea and possibly be subjected to psychological tests and your usage monitored and your health checked and regulated and you could be helped. You won't ever cure addicts by making them criminals. Addicts are ill. They are mentally ill, would you also criminalise other forms of mental illness?

All the arguments for legalising can be used as an against.
But interestingly nobody campaigns to make alcohol or tobacco illegal. Our favourite drugs are taxed the hypocrisy of the government regarding drugs policy is staggering.

Take MCAT for example. Or meow meow. It wasn't illegal and kids were taking it and paying £7 a gram/fluid oz. Nobody had yet been proven to have been killed directly by it. Usage was very low and because it wasn't illegal an estimated £2m in tax revenue was raised from sales from it.

Then the media got a hold of it. They campaigned against it. They said it was dangerous and addictive (which it is but nobody knows the extent of how dangerous or addictive) and it should be banned. The goverment caved in and made it illegal.

The net result: MCAT is now more widely used in clubs than it ever has been. The price initially quadrupled and more people than ever were using it. Because it is now illegal no studies into its effects are now being carried out so the danger of its usage is going unresearched making it more dangerous. Also because it is now illegal the manufacturers are making newer similar drugs that are for sale but could be more addictive, more dangerous but we'll never know because the effects of prohibition mean that approaching the problem in a mature, sensible manner is now impossible because small minded people howl in protest at anything to do with drugs because they're so conditioned by the media.

If you really believe drugs are useless and worthless then follow it through to the correct level. Take all your records, tapes, cd's and bin them. Because the people who made the music that has enriched your life were all really high. Empty your drinks cabinet and throw that pack of marlboro away. How dare you smugly whine "drugs are for mugs" with a fag on and a beer in your hand?

Like those off their heads on intoxicating substances like Cannabis?
Do a quick google search. See how many people were killed in alcohol related driving accidents last year then compare to the amounts for cannibis related. If you genuinely care about reducing substance related RTA's there is one substance you should be campaigning against.

It isn't cannibis

What on Earth are you talking about, you mad man? It seems to me that smoking all that pot has affected your thinking. If what you say is true and more people do die from problems associated with tobacco and alcohol useage, it's because more people consume them. If the same amount of people that drink and smoke are matched with those using hard drugs, the picture would be quite different.

Mecky, go and do some reading-up on the subject before you let loose and you will not appear so daft.

Drug addicts arent really victims are they? Unless someone held them down and weaned them onto drugs.Why should we give them a safe supply?

You obviously havent been touched by addiction or been close to anyone who has. People who become addicted to drugs have usually resorted to drugs in the first place to escape some sort of trauma. So, yes, drug addicts often are victims.

I am fully aware that people have a wide range of views on drugs and I wouldnt try and change your mind on your anti-drug stance just as I wouldnt expect you to try and change my pro-legislation beliefs. But next time you see a drug addict begging for spare change, perhaps try and wonder what tragedies led him there instead of just thinking of him as the author of his own misfortune.

You obviously havent been touched by addiction or been close to anyone who has. People who become addicted to drugs have usually resorted to drugs in the first place to escape some sort of trauma. So, yes, drug addicts often are victims.

I am fully aware that people have a wide range of views on drugs and I wouldnt try and change your mind on your anti-drug stance just as I wouldnt expect you to try and change my pro-legislation beliefs. But next time you see a drug addict begging for spare change, perhaps try and wonder what tragedies led him there instead of just thinking of him as the author of his own misfortune.

Well said Mel's Mum. People are all too ready to criticise the outcome without giving a toss about the cause.

It's about time people realised that drugs are here to stay and something needs to be done about it!

my edit......I am sure that Keats, Shelley and Byron would have contributed to this very thread had they still been around.....

they were all addicted to opium and laudanum but hey that was best part of 200 years ago. :hihi:

Archived