Getting rid of my car.. how long will I last?

I'm thinking of ditching the car too. I can get the train or bus to work. I have to walk a mile to the stop/station but that's good exercise. Or I may buy a bike. For holidays and weekends, I can hire a car.

Trouble is, I have just applied for a job where I need a car to work.

We will either order online, or Mrs Yaffle will get a taxi back with our shopping. At least this way, I don't need to spend a couple of hours in complete boredom while my wife (who doesn't drive) looks at absolutely everything in the supermarket! :D

Ah - Ah!! Your ulterior motive has come to light. The lengths some blokes will go, just to get out of shopping.

I will be SORNing the car, but do I need to notify the insurance as well to tell them I'm not driving it?

Yep, and you will get % money back.

But can you afford to write off its value if it gets stolen whilst you are not using it?

Give it a go....

I used to use mine as my SOLE means of transport, every day without fail

Now I use mine as a last resort (except for sunday drives out to go walking or such trips), I bought a trailer for the bicycle for carrying heavier/larger stuff occasionally.

I'm much happier with the arrangement - though I do still want to keep my car, on a low-mileage policy

A great way to get in shape. Get a bicycle :thumbsup:, just don't get in my way :twisted:.

:hihi:

I already ride a bike, but can't use it for work as I have to wear a shirt and tie and can't really turn up covered in mud and sweat! Luckily I am able to walk to work for the next few weeks as only working a mile and a half from home!

The last time I needed to go to A & E I took a taxi. I hate being reliant on other people but as I get older am forcing myself to accept it gracefully when I must. One day you're going to have to learn to do the same from your daughters. Can hear them now "OH mother is so difficult. We want to help but she is so....."

Archived