How to make it as a dj? :)

Hi guys, what really started off as a hobby has now got me thinking about becoming a dj. My main genres are bassline and dubstep. I've been doing it for around 1 an a half year but got really into it around 8 month ago. A friend heard a cd i'd recorded that I had on in my car he said I should be playing to a crowd, now this is my problem having never been heard of only by mates and workmates how am I supposed to get known?

I know sheffield is bassline mad and it wil be hard but i'm so determined. I have 1 night booked to do a bassline set for a friends birthday so at least i'll get a little experience. My other problem is promoting, I have no idea how to promote myself and know no promoters. Any help would be appreciated!

Just incase anyone who's reading is a promoter/ knows one or wants to hear me play i've uploaded a vid to youtube search chris wright january 2011. It has a red background and yellow writing. Or google wrig83. Any help appreciated. Thanks for reading and sorry for the essay!

Why don't you send a CD out to nightclubs?

Corporation has a sick dub night they have the most amazing set up I have ever heard, dubstep sounds totally disgusting in there.

Just seen your Youtube, I like your stuff, if you could get some proper deep drops in there that would suit corp perfect on certain nights/times/rooms.

The dubstep one on there was really just a mess about. The mc in there is a friend of mine.

I thought about sending cds to clubs but they must get loads! What if they just bin it? That must be the only way though? I might mail em a couple of cd's tmoz.

The dubstep one on there was really just a mess about. The mc in there is a friend of mine.

I thought about sending cds to clubs but they must get loads! What if they just bin it? That must be the only way though? I might mail em a couple of cd's tmoz.

Look for open DJ nights wrig. I'm not sure where does them now, but there are always a few about. Don't think about money yet. There are hundreds of dj's who will work for free... and who are better than people who charge huge amounts!

'What if they bin it?', well so what? It doesn't cost much to make copies of your stuff. Word of mouth will get you more work though.

Don't bother with flyers, they can be expensive and are a waste of tree's. Social networking is the way forward and it's free. Get yourself a Pod cast going, send mixes out to local clubs and maybe approach community radio and await feedback. Playing in pub's isn't really going to generate yourself much fame.

I listened to your youtube video for a minute, it would have been much shorter but you failed to edit your upload properly so the first 30 seconds were blank. Not a very good impression! The 30 seconds after that were badly mixed in my opinion, keep practising.

The pub thing was just so I kno what its going to be like playing to a crowd with loud music. I can edit the vid on you tube. In what way is it mixed badly? Nt being dick or anything just want to know what I need to work on. Have you listened to the rest?

I want to be well known, want my 15 min of fame.

First of all mate, this aint what you want to be getting into dj'ing for at all imo, for me at least It was all about massive passion for the music you play and wanting to share that with others, no better feeling having a crowd go nuts to tunes you dug and dug for and most of them woulod probably never heard them otherwise.

People who are in it for fame/money/to get laid etc you can spot from a mile off, saying that its not to say it wont work, it has done for some but depends what sort of music it is.

likewise,sadly its often the people willing to kiss the most arse who get gigs which is a joke.

send cds to promoters (thats how I got most of my gigs) but make sure you really are good first, a few friends opinion means nothing really they might just be blowing smoke up your arse.

Practice practice practice and practice some more then get as many small gigs as you can to build you name and confidence, good luck

Archived